Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When did the 7/Dublin Fusiliers land at Gallipoli?

Duncan

Can anyone tell me when the 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers landed at Gallipoli? The books say it was the 7th August 1915. However, I have the MIC and rolls of a man that state he landed on the 9th? Furthermore, quite a few on the roll state that they landed on the 9th. Where there two landings by the 7th Dublins, one on the 7th and another on the 9th?

Duncan.

Dear Duncan,

To my knowledge the 7th DF landed on the 7th.

Note however that the brigade (30th which contained 6th and 7th DF and 6th and 7th MF) did not land as a "united force" but battalions were attached to other Brigades. I know the 7th were send to Chocolate Hill and took part in the fighting there.

eric

To best of my knowledge, Erics correct but Liam Curran has the 10th Divisions history. Hopefully he will see this thread & oblige! The Division were invovled in a battle 15-16 August thats well wortha read - heartbreaking stuff.

Not about the 10th specifically, but a simplified version is on my site (see signature below) until Liam or one of the 10th Div buffs steps in!

Hi Duncan,

As Eric and Steve have said, the 7th RDF did indeed land at Suvla Bay on the 7th of August.

There is one possibility for the 9th. About 10% of the men of 10th Division were held on the island of Lemnos as a reserve force when the main part of the Division sailed on the 6th. It may be that the reserve of the 7th RDF landed on the 9th. It is just a guess, mind! I can't find any mention of a landing on the 9th in either Bryan Coopers book or in Ray Westlake's book.

Regards,

Liam.

Another odd thing is that I went through Soldiers Died for the 7th DF and it seemd that 90% of them have a Wiltshire of Cornwall connection! The medal I have is for a man from Warminster in Wiltshire.

By all accounts they had a bad time of it in Gallipoli - "took a year to build and a week to destroy" - so perhaps drafts from another (Wilts) Btn were used to bolster the unit up? A guess of course but may be worth a gander? :blink:

Over to Liam .... :D

Hi Duncan,

Tom Johnstone gives a fairly detailed account of the landings at Suvla on the 7th in his book, Orange Green and Khaki. He states; "Disembarkation began at 05.30......In one boat, an officer and seventeen men of the 7th Dublins were killed or wounded."

My own grandfather was with the 6t Dublins.

If you need further information give me a shout.

Ken