Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Somme

Devils Own

Hi Everybody

I am thinking of visiting the Somme at the weekend. I haven't been there before and don't know where to start.

I was watching a TV programme about a missing flying ace and this had recent footage taken from a plane flying over an incredibly pock-marked landscape. It was permanent grassland, not ploughed. Does anybody know where this specific area is as I would like to see it first hand?

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Probably the Newfoundland Memorial Park near Beaumont Hamel. There are preserved trenchlines as well as shell holes plus a visitors centre. It's NE-ish of Albert, you can look the village up on www.viamichelin.com and I think the park itself is also shown.

Alan

Newfoundland Park is a good place to go as the museum enables the visitor to udnerstand abut the action in the area. As for other places, link the lcatiosn and events can be confusingfor the first time visitor .

One simple way to navigate around the area is to follow the "Poppy trail" which guides visitors drivers to the key sites - general info can also be obtained on the local website " http://www.somme-battlefields.com".

As for information on specific locations - just ask on the Forum. Pals will be plased to advise you.

You might find this section of my Old Front Line website of use:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/somme_1916.htm

What you describe sounds like the Newfoundland Park, but it might also be Vimy, near Arras. Whichever, the Park is a good place to go on a first time visit: I would also recommend Ulster Tower and Delville Wood. Lunch at Le Tommy in Pozieres is also recommended.

Thanks Everybody,

Could anyone recommend an interesting and atmospheric, yet reasonably priced hostelry in the Somme?

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

if you want a B & B try Avril Williams place at Auchonvillers, it is very atmospheric and within easy walking distance of the Newfoundland park already mentioned.

She also has a tea rooms for grub if you are just passing.

She is on the web; tearooms@avrilwilliams.com or better of phone 0033 22 76 23 66

or 0033 3 22 76 19 93

If you stay there say hi to Avril for me,

regards,

Scottie.

Thanks again Scottie

Was Avril featured on the programme about the Sheffield Pals recently?

Cheers

Steve

Not sure, however she was featured on one of Richard Holmes 'War Walks' if that is was you are thinking off.

Her place is very popular and the cellar is worth the visit alone. They have done some excavations in her garden and recreated the trenches how they would have been during the Great War leading away from the cellar.

I enjoy staying there and there are always like minded individuals (anoraks my wife calls us) to talk too and exchange information over a beer or two.

The only downside is her bl**dy cockerel that starts crowing at the crack of dawn, however it wakes you up for an early morning walk if you are up to it before brekkie.

If you run a search on the forum you will find other bits and bobs on Avrils.

good luck,

Cheers,

Scottie.

And if you do not fancy listening to the cockerel you can alway try Julie Renshaw at Les Galet also at Auchonvillers

Phone no. 00333 22 762879

The house at Les Galet is sitting astride the front line, and only yards from where Mallins filmed the Hawthorn Ridge mine going off on 1 July 1916.

Arthur J

D'accord

Julie's place is very peaceful, the food is good (especially supper) as is the wine and the welcome very warm

The only hazard is that she is often full, a sign of a good thing in my books - oh yes, and the need to avoid tripping over the feral cats (Julie keeps them out of the house) :)

That's great.

Thanks Everybody.

Steve

The only downside is her bl**dy cockerel that starts crowing at the crack of dawn, however it wakes you up for an early morning walk if you are up to it before brekkie.

Update to fellow visitors to Avrils - THE COCKEREL IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!

I was in at the kill - it took four of us in a classic pincer movement - lots of laughter tripping over in the dark & slipping in droppings.

Avril asked a friend of mine ( who looked after chicken) to 'do the deed'.

It didn't give up on life easily - but it is no-more.

As we left triumphantly - Avril mentioned she had 3 more Cockerels to ge trid of!!!

Over to you guys!

Simon.

Hi i'm just back from Avrils, it's THE place to stay for info and a warm welcome, and the position on the somme is just perfect.

Do not miss the Thiepval visitor centre, loads of info and many good maps guides etc available.

Avril also does packed lunches which is very handy, and the cockerel might not be so noisy , ask Avril!

Will