Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SAHIB

Muerrisch

Sumptuous book, received three days after ordering from Amazon at an 'Amazin' [!] bargain price. Made mistake reading a big chunk in bed, and dog-tired today as a consequence.

At 600pp, a bit tiring in bed, too.

Full review as and when.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got it; you're right, it looks lovely. I'm only about 100 pages in so far. I'm certainly enjoying it, but I think the Mutiny is covered rather briefly - or maybe he'll come back to it.

Cheers,

S

Finished. A sumptuous production, but the least engrossing of his trilogy: Redcoat, Tommy and this one. Tendency to repeat, or at least cover ground again, and an admixture of following a theme, or following chronology, that didn't work for me.

I was a little disappointed that 'my' period 1900 to 1914 was very sketchily dealt with, and particularly disappointed to learn nothing about the so-called 'Kitchener Tests'.

That said, I will certainly refer to it time and again, and found no errors of fact worth repeating.

A good, solid 8/10 for a very solid book.

and particularly disappointed to learn nothing about the so-called 'Kitchener Tests'.

LB,

Did you see the notes I put on another thread in regard to an extract I found in the Northamptonshire history about the kitchener tests?

regards

Arm

It would have benefited from more rigorous editing in order to avoid silly typos and errors of punctuation but on the whole, I'm enjoying it so far.

How much did you pay David? Can you beat ₤8.50 from my local Bangalore bookshop? I got a 20% discount on a low cover price, perhaps for being a sahib.

I saw this in my local Waterstones in Wolverhampton

They have quite a few copies signed by the Prof.

If any one feels the need for a signed copy ring the store

01902 427219. B)

It would have benefited from more rigorous editing in order to avoid silly typos and errors of punctuation but on the whole, I'm enjoying it so far.

How much did you pay David?  Can you beat ₤8.50 from my local Bangalore bookshop?  I got a 20% discount on a low cover price, perhaps for being a sahib.

Cannot beat that: £14 seemed a bargain at the time, and free p&p. I live in the sticks: have to harness the pony and attach to trap to leave village. In a manner of speaking.

Guest belgiumpoppies
I saw this in my local Waterstones in Wolverhampton

They have quite a few copies signed by the Prof.

If any one feels the need for a signed copy ring the store

01902 427219.  B)

I've seen the book in Waterstones in London signed as well. It was a very interesting read

Man's class ... but too many books/docs/ongoing projects coming at ya thick and fast.

Are we reaching an Ambrosian scenario?

Des

I've just finished it, and I agree with LB's assessment. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and found certain passages very evocative (especially the epilogue). Prof Holmes has a rare gift for comely prose, one which has enchanted me time and time again. You will find plenty of that here, and he successful generates images of life and death on the subcontinent, from arrival by sea to burial beneath a tree.

However, these 'thematic' structures confuse me a little. I'm never sure where to turn when looking for a particular subject. Perhaps inevitably, sections of Sahib seem very similar to Redcoat and Wellington. The reader who picks this one up first will obviously not notice this, and will probably benefit as a result.

Overall, a sterling effort. The man is prodigious.

Cheers,

S