Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11 November Menin Gate

kerry

Am trying to get a ticket for this to see it inside the Menin Gate but it seems impossible - does anyone have any ideas who I should be asking? Thanks

Kerry

Kerry,

You can join the 'Poppy Parade' and if you are lucky to be at the front you should be able to see something, it's a pity in some respects that it has grown so big! On my first visit in 1987 I was able to stand under The Gate, no problem. Lately I don't go to The Gate on the 11th as having been there I think it is important for those who have never seen the Service to have a chance to.

I still go at 8 o'clock on all the nights we are there tho, still very moving,

I wish you luck.

Mandy

Kerry. I can only agree with Mandy. If you cannot get near the gate during the Armistice parade, there is always the evening last post to attend! Still alot of people, but nowhere near the day numbers. You could always ask the Last Post committee to lay a wreath, that would allow you inside! Plus you get to march behind the bands from St George's church. Brings a tear to my eye every year, as you will be in the footsteps, of many battalions of tommies, who marched this way, never to return! Chris.