Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

From Hawthorn Crater

willy

• 3 weeks later...

Neil, very interested in your avatar, see you are researching Frederick Farmer of Rhayader.

The name just below that on the Thiepval Memorial(and on your avatar) is that of my Great Grandfather Pte John Farrer of the Lonsdales. I've sent you a pm regarding this.

post-1137-1130101290.jpg

Neil, very interested in your avatar, see you are researching Frederick Farmer of Rhayader.

The name just below that on the Thiepval Memorial(and on your avatar) is that of my Great Grandfather Pte John Farrer of the Lonsdales. I've sent you a pm regarding this.

Spike,

Just replied to your mail. Just in case - Fred Farmer was my Great Great (Great?) Uncle who enlisted in the Herefords (we believe he saw service in Gallipoli) before being moved to the KSLI and finally 11th Bn Border Regt. We also believe he survived 1st July 16 finally being KIA on 18 Nov 16 during the final assault on the Munich Trench.

NeilD

Neil

I KNEW I recognised the name of Frederick Farmer!

Here is a picture of a memorial to him in Carmel Churchyard, Powys. Did you know about it? I took it for the

British War Memorial Project

I also have other pics from this churchyard.

Here is the text entry that went forward to the Project:

No. 27744. Border Regiment. 11 September 1918 (CWGC gives date of death as 18 November 1916). Age 18 Private Memorial. Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial Pier and Face 6 A and 7 C

post-1268-1130155054.jpg

Many thanks for that. I visited the churchyard last year. His mother and father are buried there together with other family members. He is also commemorated on the War Memorial in Rhayader. Freds life is somewhat of an enigma as he does not appear in the 1901 Census (he would have been 2 or 3 yrs old) and there is no on similar around that time. I also visited Thiepval Memorial Aug this year to pay my respects. I'm not sure whether you are aware but Fred enlisted in the Herefordshire Regt before being moved to the KSLI and finally 11th Bn Border Regt. Once again many thanks.

NeilD

Neil

I wonder if we can explain the discrepancy of the date of death.

Family error?

Stonemason error?

Army records?

Martin

Neil

I wonder if we can explain the discrepancy of the date of death.

Family error?

Stonemason error?

Army records?

Martin

Martin,

An interesting theory. Couldn't be a family error because the parents died after he did. Stonemason - possible. Service records again possible. I had the idea of approaching the CWGC to clarify their records but everything points to his DoB being correct ie sometime in 1897/8. I'm at a loss as to why he is not in the 1901 census - it would clear up family mystery. Could we class Fred as boy soldier?

NeilD

Martin,

Could we class Fred as boy soldier?

NeilD

Neil

He would have been 17 at Gallipoli. Depends I suppose when he joined up.

Certainly not really a 'boy soldier' in the accepted sense when he died.

Martin

Neil

He would have been 17 at Gallipoli. Depends I suppose when he joined up.

Certainly not really a 'boy soldier' in the accepted sense when he died.

Martin

Martin,

Agreed. Another mystery is that he was awarded the Territorial Forces War Medal which indicates that he was in the TA before the war hence the confusion over his age. What are your thoughts?

NeilD

Neil

He would have been circa 16 in 1914.

I don't know what the Territorials Regs were about age. Someone on the Forum will know. Why not start a thread?

The only thought that springs to mind is that he was in a school Corps pre-war. Again, I know little about this as well!

Martin

Neil

He would have been circa 16 in 1914.

I don't know what the Territorials Regs were about age. Someone on the Forum will know. Why not start a thread?

The only thought that springs to mind is that he was in a school Corps pre-war. Again, I know little about this as well!

Martin

Martin,

Again an interesting theory. The criteria for the award does not give an age limit. Could he have been a bandsman/drummer or bugle boy? See what I mean, more questions than answers.

NeilD

Neil,

Here is a page of the Lonsdale Battalion Roll of Honour, someone sent me.

Fred Farmer is highlighted in blue- date of death there is 18/11/16. Quite intriguing, isn't it ?

post-1137-1130166425.jpg

Spike,

You're absolutely right. I'm having great difficulty getting my head round it all. You think you've solved the mystery or at least taken a step forward and something else crops up to muddy the waters again. I'm determined to get to the bottom of it though. Thanks for the roll.

NeilD