Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

locating a man by his number ?

the raven

can anyone tell me if its is possible to trace a mans service just from his number

ive tried every where to no avail ,all i have is his name and number and date of service. gunner 259707 john lewis griffiths enlisted 16/11/15 to 5/2/19 with the r.f.a and then 6/2/19 to 6/6/22 with d battery r.h.a where his number changed to 1035432 ( this second service i beleive was in lucknow india ) what im after is his first sevice 1915/19 with r.f.a . i cant find him in the national archives , so i have know idea as to what battery or battalion he served with , or wether he served overseas ,( i have noticed that soilders with higher numbers in the r.f.a did serve overseas ) any help as to where i go from here would be most welcome .

raven

Hello

you could check the star (if applicable) and victory medal rolls held at the NA - some give more details than others

Ian

hello ian

tried that but got nothing ,starting to think that his records may have been part of those destroyed during the blitz.

regards raven

Hello

Only found this out the other day - it might help as he is RFA

Regards Ian

You won't find his military service records at the National Archives. His later number 1035432 indicates service after 1921, so the file will still be held by the Ministry of Defence Army Personnel centre and you should be able to obtain a copy.