Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FIFE & FORFAR

Mike C

It's a place in Scotland, just as Fife is. Fife & Forfar refers to the place the Yeomanry originate from. Same as the Lanarkshire Yeomanry really.

Someone else might explain this better, and will be able to tell you exactly where in Scotland Forfar is. All I can tell you is that the Guide Dogs For The Blind had a training centre there!

Mike,

Forfar is a Town(famous for its Bridies which are a bit like Cornish Pasties but with Puff Pastry) about 10 Miles north of Dundee in the County of Angus.

Previously the County was called Forfarshire but I am still trying to find out why the County changed its name to Angus for Forum Member Paul Guthrie.

I'm not sure how up to date you are with British Heroines but Grace Darling saved lives when the Vessel "Forfarshire" sank.

I would assume the Yeomonary Unit was formed when the County of Forfarshire existed but I am sure an expert will assist.

GeorgeY

truth(Tom?)

Sorry I can't resist this :D

I decided not to elaborate on Fife as it is too close to home.I was born in St Andrews but spent much of my formative years in Dyce.

George

truth(Tom?)

Sorry I can't resist this :D

I decided not to elaborate on Fife as it is too close to home.I was born in St Andrews but spent much of my formative years in Dyce.

George

[/quot

Well I followed or preceded you from Dundee to Aberdeen. I thought that perhaps the first poster was Thinking along the lines of Fife & Drums. It's Tom, George. Truth is just the start of my name and I didn't notice until too late what it spelled.

Tom,

All I'll say is 1950 was a vintage year in St Andrews :D .I could digress(or insert a red herring) about holidays in Tayport(when one Dundee Station was called Tay Bridge and the Fifies sailed) but I won't.

Slightly off-topic but have you any idea why Forfarshire became Angus?

TIA

George

While the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry was a Cavalry unit there was also the 14th (Fife & Forfar Yeomanry) Battalion of the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch).

Formed in Moascar, Egypt on 21 December 1916, from the dismounted troops of the Fife & Forfar Yeomanry. 21 December 1916 : attached to 229th Brigade, 74th Division.

Served in Palestine at 2nd and 3rd Battles of Gaza, plus others, then went to France in May 1918 with the 74th Division.

(Just in case Mike is looking for an infantry formation)

Steve.

P.S. It was also the name of a Deltic diesel locomotive, if I remember rightly from my dim and distant days of Yoof.

Tom,

Slightly off-topic but have you any idea why Forfarshire became Angus?

TIA

George

I have not researched it but I I know that it was to do with Dundee becoming a city. Some of the county town functions stayed in Forfar and some went to Dundee. I should look at parliamentary boundaries and electoral reform of the time. I would be surprised if " The Courier" could not help.

Some other silly facts:-

Angus County Hall is in Forfar.

Forfar Athletic play in Scottish League Division 2.

Fife is not a county, its a Kingdom!!

Young men from Forfar are called loons.

The Fife & Forfar Yeomanry also played a significant part in the first wave on D-Day 6th June 1944. Sent in as an advance unit, as spotters for the naval bombardment.

Tom,

Ta for the reply re Angus.You'll appreciate there is not much audience for the "Courier" in Cheshire.Sometime I'll have to deviate off the A90 and go into the City to enquire.

Mike

The best result depending on which Team you support-Forfar 4 East Fife 5 :D

Fife is a Kingdom because Dunfermline was once Scotland's Capital.

I'm not sure if loon is appropriate to Forfar.It is certainly used in Aberdeen and the North East of Scotland as is "Kwine" for a young girl.I don't know of it being used as far south as Forfar.Certainly my Mother who was brought up just over the River Tay from Dundee and nursed in a Hospital in Dundee had never heard the word used until we moved to Aberdeen.You can imagine my initial reaction when I was first called a loon.I was only aged 8 though and the Lady was a lot taller than me :P

George

I have yet to hear the football result

Forfar 5 East Fife 4

:-)

Hello All,

I have the WW1 history of the F&F Yeo. There is a interesting roll in the back of all those wounded and killed with place and date of action. I would be happy to look up any names for you. There is also a chapter about the 14th Bn [F&F] Black Watch in the Great War history of the Black Watch.

Cheers,

Stewart :rolleyes: