Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

books read section?

armourersergeant

I know that the mother site has a books review section but i was wondering if it would be usefull to have a section where people submit a list of books they have read about the WW1 subject so if other pals were contemplating getting said book they could e-mail to see wether it reps up for the reason they may whish to buy/read it.

I often have cause to ask has anyone read such and such to see if it has the info i require(see recent thread on Monty the making of a general) and often its books i may see on line and not that i can look at in the hand.

dont know what other think and of course its more work for our glourious leader but it maybe a help to some so money is not wasted. It could be done in alphabetical order and the pals name at the side, thus you could then e-mail the said Pal for info.

Arm.

"Share information on Books read"

This is an excellent Idea, I have a whole library of books on the subject of the Holocaust and the Nazis {previous interest} that I would be more than willing to share information on. I am now in the process of doing the same on the Great War, Just haven't decided on which aspect / section I will be concentrating on.

Amazon, my primary source is very good but some times it lacks in synopsis, and invites you to be the first to review a book - this can be expensive.

I have just read Sheffields "The Somme" Good book plenty of information for the beginner and most importantly perhaps, easy to read, but only snipets of information for the dedicated enthusiat trying to do serious research on any given unit / action. I would recommend it to a beginner.

another tip is check out the used book market you can often save a few pence even pounds.........in the long run.

I look forward to hearing the views of the other members on this subject

John

It could go something like this...

Far from a donkey.....john Baynes...........Armourersergeant.

The Mons Star....David Ascoli................Armourersergeant.

and so on in alphabetical order by book or author, of course it would need updating. It may also need double naming as numerous people will have read the same book...Umh...

come on let me know what you think.

Arm.

If I set up a section, each book entered could be like starting a discussion thread. So we could have a convention that the thread title = Book title and the second title line = Author. After that, presumably the first entry would be a review or comments of some kind by the member starting that thread off, and others could comment in response.

I'll go off and set up it now ... it will be in the Documents area.