Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of the West Riding Division 1914-1918

Clive

Pals I'm thinking of buying this book can anyone tell me if it is worth its considerable price tag .Regards Clive

Hello Clive

It depends on what you are expecting. If it is dynamic prose then i'm afraid you will be disappointed but if you are just after a solid two volume regimental history then it is perfectly fine.

Andy

It is the history of the 62nd Division, a second line territorial division that went to France in 1917. In fact by page 15 of volume one it is onto March 1917. From then onwards seems to be quite detailed, I am picking up volume two from the library tomorrow.

You could use the inter-library loan service to take a look at it. Then decide if you want to buy it after you have seen it. Personally I like it, I like the dates in the margins and the detail it gives.

Tony.

Not got it, but generally Everard Wyrrall's histories are pretty good. His 2nd Division is very detailed.

As for the 62nd, I always have a soft spot for old Braithwaite!

B^%&$%R, I thought the thread title was asking about the history of the West Yorks Regt.

Glasses on.

Andy

Can any of you learned Pals recommend any other reading on the 62nd West Riding Division . I'm particularly interested in the Royal Field Artillery raised at Bradford . Cheers Clive

All I can think of is: The West Riding Territorials in the Great War, by Laurie Magnus, but I don't know if it will be of much use to you. It says at the begining it is more about the infantry than anything else.

Tony.

Tony - I assume you know these things. I am right in thinking that the 62nd was the only TF Divn to march to the Rhine, aren't I? If so, is there any reason why they were selected - a 2nd Lind Divn wouldn't have been thought to be that high up the pecking order. They must have been pretty good?

Quite right about entering Germany. The only clue to it that I have at the moment is that on the 28th November 1918, the 62nd Division was transferred from VI Corps to IX Corrps.

IX Corps was commanded by General Sir Walter Pipon Braithwaite, the same man who had commanded the 62nd Division when they made a four and a half mile advance in November 1917, and had Douglas Haig praising them. General Braithwaite was quite pleased with them, it looks like he deliberately picked them for the job.

On the 24th November 1917 General Braithwaite wrote:

“The Divisional Commander has the honour to announce that both the Commander-in-Chief and the Army Commander have expressed their high appreciation of the achievements of the 62nd Division in the battle. The Divisional Commander had the most implicit confidence that the Division would acquit itself with honour. To have advanced 7,000 yards on the first day, taken all objectives, held them against counter-attack and handed over all gains intact to the reliving division, is a feat of arms of which any division may be justly proud. The number of prisoners taken by the Division is not far short of 2,000. Thirty-seven guns have been captured, which include two 8-inch howitzers, one complete 4.2 battery, one complete battery of 5.9 and the remainder, guns of various calibres, many of which were brought into action against the enemy. The number of Machine guns, granater-werfer, etc., etc.; which have fallen into our possession, is so considerable that it has not been possible yet to make an accurate tally of them. The advance of the Artillery to Graincourt and the accuracy of the barrage is worthy of the best traditions of the Royal Regiment. To Y Battalion, the Tanks, all ranks of the Division express their admiration of the skill, bravery and the splendid self-sacrifice which made success possible. The discipline, valour and steadiness of all ranks has been beyond praise. It is with great and legitimate pride that I have the honour to sign my name as Commander of the 62nd West Riding Division.”

“WALTER BRAITHWAITE,

Major-General.”

That would be that, then. I did a small amount of research a while ago on his son, Valentine, (the one with the memorial at Serre), and there is a letter in Val's papers at Kew from Walter, which is oddly moving. Thanks.