Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Corps

Martin Felstead

Anyone know what MGC units served in Turkey (Palestine?) in 1919?

My grandfather Kenneth Laing served in MGC 2.7.1918 to 26.12.1919. Only went overseas after 11.11.1918 so no medal entitlement. At some time during 1919 he served in Turkey, the ship stopping at Taranto on the way. He also visited Constantinople.

Did all MGC have horse transport?

If it's any help, 28th Divn went to Turkey after the war, and appears to have had something called 'Z' Company, MGC attached. Having come from Salonika, and having been much altered post-war, it doesn't appear to have had the usual MGC Battalion (numbered as the division) or Bde MG Coys.

Sorry can't help more.

Steve

Thanks for that. Every little helps. I only know his service dates because he joined the Met Police in the 1920s and his army service dates are on his records. I am not sure of the policy of the Police on releasing service records, but I had no problem and they sent me full sized copies of the lot - very helpful.

Agreed - Z Company was something of a hybrid, exception to the run of things. Being away from notes, I believe there are no official records remaining of it, save acknowledging its existence (a common problem with post-1919 MGC units) but will check and advise.

Phil - thanks for your help.

Does that mean that the ONLY MGC unit in Turkey after 11.11.1918 was 'Z' Co.?

Was it a mounted i.e. Cavalry unit. family history is that my grandad "looked after the horses", but I guess that could just mean that he was in the transport section. Do you have any information of the organisation and structure of an MGC Co of this time - you describe 'Z' Co as a hybrid - what does that mean?

Just the clarifiers - (again 'flying without notes', so I may be speaking hooey) saying a 'hybrid' meaning it was assembled in a way 'rough and ready' - perhaps bringing together disparate individuals rather than fully formed as a unit from the word go. Without notes I will neither confirm nor deny that it was a MGC © unit, or derived from one; but my feeling in the water is that it WASN'T; similarly my instinct is to think that it might have been alone in Turkey - but will have to check.

One thing I am sure of, however, is that once MGC units were organised into Battalions in early 1918, they had a Transport Section - using horses. Dealing with horses in the MGC is therefore no guarantee of Cavalry status in and by itself! Keep on at me and I will revert to notes when I can get at them. Horrible thing age, creeping, insidious senility.. Can't remember where I put my coffee mug, let alone the finer points of...

Right... now I'm NOT flying without notes. Z Coy MGC was formed on 30 Mar 1920 and served in Turkey with 28 Division. Disbanded in November the same year. I've no further background on its origins. Gould's 'Locations of Units' says it served in South Russia in 1920, but we have not been able to corroborate this.

Okay - so if my grandad was discharged 26.12.1919 he could not have served with them. He definitely spent time in Constantinople, his Police Records state MGC and those service dates, and I have superb photo of him in his MGC cap.

Did the 28 Div not have the 83 84 85 and 228 (277) Cos MGC with it at all?