Angus Laing - Lovat Scouts

Martin Felstead

CWGC

310261 Pte A. Laing 1/7 Gordon Hldrs KIA 23.4.17 Buried Brown's Copse Cty

MIC

(see attached)

Gordon Hldrs Medal Roll

Notes that also served in 4 Camerons

Angus Laing fom North Uist was my g-uncle. I have 2 photos of him in the uniform of the Lovat Scouts. One of these is a postcard sent home from camp postmarked 1913. I don't know his service number in the LS.

His army numbers seem to be mid war TF numbers, and there is no mention of his service in the LS on the MIC.

Anyone any ideas what happened and suggestions as to why he didn't serve with the Scouts?

Angus_Laing_MIC.doc

I had a Victory Medal to a man from the Gordon Highlanders. A type written slip stated previous service with Lovat Scouts and gave the service number, but no mention on MIC or rolls. Don't know where the slip came from or where the info was got, someone must have found it from somewhere?

Duncan.

Another thing to consider. The 10th Battalion of the CAmeron Highlanders was formed from the Lovat Scouts Yeomanry.

From the Long, Long Trail:

10th (Lovat's Scouts) Battalion [Cameron Highlanders]

Formed in Cairo on 27 September 1916, from dismounted 1/1st and 1/2nd Lovat's Scouts (Yeomanry units). 20 October 1916 : moved to Salonika, attached to 82nd Brigade, 27th Division. June 1918 : left the Division and moved to France, attached to Lines of Communication.

Steve.

Thanks for the responses.

I had always assumed that as he was in the Lovat Scouts in 1913 he must have had some service with them. The MIC only shows post 1.3.1917 TF army numbers so he cannot have served overseas before then. He wasn't particulary old (b c. 1896). To get to the 10 Camerons he would have been serving o'seas with the LS.

I have read that several men of the Scouts were used as scouts and snipers in other units, but I hve no idea what happened to him between 1913 and 1917.