Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RANK of : Eng Cl Sjt

matthew_family_research

Hello all! I'm new to researching WW1, but love the 1914-1918 site! Could someone please help me out with the above rank. It figures as the rank of my Great Great Grandfather, who received the Meritorious Service Medal - London Gazette 1 Jan 1917. I know he was RE, but can't find references to this rank.

Furthermore, I know he was A/WO Class 1 when the War ended... . I believe he stayed on afterwards. How do I find his service records? Is it true I have to be 'next of kin', or can I be close kin?

Thanks!

The abbreviation stands for Engineer Clerk Serjeant. His service record may be at the National Archive at Kew provided he finished his service by 1920. Assuming he finished his service as a non-commissioned rank then his documents may be in the following file classes: WO363 or WO 364. If He was discharged from the services as a result of sickness or wounds received due to his wartime service, there is a faint chance there may be some mention of him in PIN 26. Many service records were destroyed in WW2. You do not have to be a relative to see them but you will have to go to the archive yourself or pay a researcher to do the work for you.

Terry Reeves

Welcome to the forum!

Click on the link that appears above called "Go to mother site", and read "Grandad's war". It will give you most of the basics of how to research your great great grandfather.