Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika Campaign Society AGM

Kate Wills

It was good to see so many members of the SCS at the AGM on Saturday. Quite a crowd formed an orderly three sides of a square at the wreath-laying at The Cenotaph, then squeezed into the upstairs room at The Clarence for the business of the AGM, an excellent talk by chairman Alan Wakefield, and plenty of catching up with friends old and new.

Our magazine, the New Mosquito (should it really be the New New Mosquito?) is now a classy glossy publication, and editor Robin Braysher received much praise for his work.

It was felt that subscribtions should rise from the ridiculously cheap £3/£4/£5 to £7/£8/£9 in a years time, so if you are not already a member, now is a very good time to find out what you have been missing.

The tight squeeze at The Clarence prompted discussion over the need to seek an alternative venue for next year; however as The Clarence suits our purposes admirably, I wonder if we might get around the problem by rearranging the furniture. Perhaps we could range the tables lengthways around the walls, with enough space to sit either side, creating room in the middle for more chairs. Anyway, suggestions for alternative venues are welcome, and members of the Forum may perhaps know somewhere near the Cenotaph that will serve food and not break our bank account.

Glad you had a good time, gutted I could not make it, nose hard to the grind stone.

regards

Arm

Kate - sorry to be so dim, but are there contact details, please? Steven

Very sorry to have missed it too. Thanks to work I was in France and spent that day halfway up an Alp looking at one of the major resistance actions of 1944. Wrong war I know...

The new New Mosquito is a big improvement and certainly justifies the subs going up.

Charles

Hi Kate-

I am quite dissapointed I did not manage to make it down to London this year. I think raising the subscription is a good idea. Best

Dimitri

Guest wrinklyone

Kate

You might have noticed that I posted 03/10 as the day Allied landings started at Salonika. However I note that SCS refers to 05/10 as the date. My info was from Frank Jordan's 1993 day-by-day diary. I have always found it to be accurate, but am willing to be corrected. Can you please clarify? Ta.

Steven,

Details at SCS Website

Thanks Martin. Cheque will be in the post this weekend (as long as Mrs B doesn't find out :( )

I have always thought £3 was too low, even though my subs were late, but that was just bad organisation!

Well worth more than £3.

Arm

Thanks for all your posts regarding the AGM. I thought it was a successful day, definitely the largest turn out so far for the wreath laying. Pleased to hear you enjoyed the talk on the 10th (Irish) Division - anyone going to the 1915 Conference at the National Army Museum in November will get the chance to hear it again!!! The AGM part of the proceedings did drag on for a bit, but, unless you have George W breathing down your neck, you can't adopt a constitution in a hurry!!! As for the raising of membership subs - the Committee were very pleased with the responce of the members attending and those writing here and by email. Lets hope we can all do our bit to take the SCS forward in 2006.

ALAN

ps: Arm - I did get your subs - thanks very much and sorry for not getting back to you about it sooner.

Hi

Could I ask if there has ever been an article in the magazine about the actions of the 1st Royal Scots. I had a Great, great uncle who was killed at the Battle of Zir on the 1st Oct 1916.

I do have the 1st Royals War Diary up until his death but I have been on the lookout for any other Royal Scots info or indeed pictures of Bala & Zir around the time of the battle.

Regards

LIT

I don't think so, but if you click on the SCS link mentioned above and go to New Moquito, you will find a list of all the main articles that have been carried since Issue 1.

Dear LIT

Apart from the account of the capture of Karajakoi Bala, Zir and Yenikoi (30 Sept - 4 Oct 1916) in Vol.1 of the Official History of the Macedonia Campaign, the only other indepth coveragre of this action that I know of is that given in 'Under the Devil's Eye - Britain's Forgotten Army at Salonika 1915-1918' (Sutton, 2004) written by myself and Simon Moody. We traced a number of first hand accounts (unfortunately no Royal Scots) of the action and use these alongside war diaries etc in our narrative. The book also contains a photograph of the shell damaged church in Karajakoi Bala - as our caption records:

The shell damaged church at Karajakoi Bala, 7 October 1917. It was from the tower of this building that Bulgarian trenches hidden in fields of maize were spotted, allowing them to be neutralized by artillery fire prior to the attack by the 1st Royal Scots on Karajakoi Zir during the afternoon of 30 September 1916.

This photo is held by the National Army Museum, ref NAM 99910. I believe there may have been one or two others in the same collection. At the Imperial War Musuem there is a photograph showing the bombardment of the villages by British artillery prior to one of the infantry attacks.

The attack on the three villages was the largest action undertaken by XVI Corps in the Struma Valley during the Salonika Campaign.

ALAN

Hi Alan

Many thanks for your reply and could I say that I have a copy of your book. I found it extremely helpful and it has provided me with the only 2 pictures of Bala and Zir that I have come across.

I did look at the War Diary of the 1st Royals when I was last down at the NA and managed to find within it a map of the trenches around Zir in which my Great, great uncle may have been killed. There was also a rather faded casualty list that mentioned him.

Thanks again for replying to my question.

Regards

LIT

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

Sorry I missed it. As Alan may have explained, I was in Fiji and New Zealand (of course I had an awful time! Not.)

I did visit the chapel dedicated to nurses in Christchurch however, including those killed on the Marquette, members of the 1st NZ Stationary Hospital. Very interesting - an article may be in the offing!

Cheers

Simon Moody