Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Rowland Hill Royal Engineers

I have the victory medal for my Great Uncle Arthur Rowland Hill and have downloaded the attached MIC. Can anyone provide answers to the following questions please:

1 - He was awarded a victory and british war medal, but not a star - why not?

2 - There are no details of theatre of war first served in or date entered - why not?

3 - His rank was pioneer - what did a pioneer do?

4 - His medal has stamped on the side PNR. A.R.HILL P.E. - what does P.E. mean?

5 - Probably a naive question but - I've no idea where his war medal is - anyway to find out (assuming it was not thrown away)?

Thanks.

Andy.

post-7755-1128282525.jpg

Andy

He did not receive a star because he didn't serve overseas in 1914 or 1915. This is also the reason that there is no date or theatre shown. Are you sure it says PE on the medal and not RE ?

My mistake, unfortunately the medal is not in very good condition, it is R.E. which I assume means Royal Engineers.

If he didn't go abroad, any thoughts about why and any clues from his number when he might have signed up?

Thanks.

Andy.

Andy

He did go overseas because he received the British War Medal and Victory Medal but after 1/1/1916. I can't help with the date of enlistment.

Mick

I believe that the numbers in the low 200000s were allocated some time late 1916, early 1917. I would imagine that he was in France (or wherever by the start of 1918).

Steve.