Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HELP - P L E A S E

susanhemmings

Please could anyone tell me which (if any) National Roll of Honour I should purchase for any info. relating to my Grandad (RGA - Woolwich). There are about four for London. Would I be right in thinking it may come under "South East" - or perhaps I ought to wait for "Kent" ???? (my grandad lived in Silvertown - Newham) at the time of enlistment.

Thank you everyone - Susan.

Susan,

Coverage in the National Roll is very hit and miss, so there is no guarantee of finding any entry - it depended upon relatives putting information forward and the entry, if included, will only be very short.

I suggest you try your local library - perhaps through an inter library loan. If you live in the london area you should be able to access copies at the British Library or the Imperial War Museum. I would not consider buying a copy unless there is a wider interest in the area OR you have already checked that there is an entry and you feel the purchase is worthwhile.

Martin

Thank you Martin for your helpful advice.

Will do as you suggest

Susan.

Susan if you post all the details of Grandad including his home address or area, if you know it, and ask for look ups in all the London volumes of the National Roll I'm sure the members will oblige. I have found them very helpful. This is the point at which I put up my hand and say-I have the Bradford volume. Anyone want a look up? Tim. :blink:

Thank you Tim

Susan

Susan, I have the full set. With respect, it is not worth buying just for a "look up" but may be if there is an entry to him. But it should be remembered that the information was submitted contemporaneously with the time by the family and may or may not be that accurate. If you want me to look him up just let me know.

Jim, that's very kind of you (not even sure he will be on "London" set - but if you would not mind:

NAME John William CHURCH

DOB 12.10.1888

ADDRESS; (believed) 11 parker street OR could be 25 winchester street (both Silvertown - west ham)

JOINED RGA - as a gunner (think he went on to Labour corps - as he was gassed sometime or other) - probably joined approx 1915 (for four year - as was the case for all?)

Anything you have - I would be very chuffed about. I have one photo (only one) of my grandad - he is standing in his (works' ) fireman outfit - (he worked for india gutta rubber percha as a fireman) - taken just before the house was blown to pieces on 7.9.40 during the first bad blitz over docklands. I can see from the photo that he has (what looks like) a strip of colour (its a black and white photo) above his breast pocket - but i cannot make out what it is - possible ribbon strip from a medal?

Thank you again Jim, sorry to go on - but become very excited about knowing ANYTHING about my grandad.

He was away for three days following the blitz firefighting with the auxilliaries.....

Hi Susan

Message me with what you require, someone on another site has some of these and I will get a look up for you, although there are a few on this site that I have them as I put a similar request on her previously.

Regards

Christina

susan,this is the only john w church listed in the medal rolls

gunner

john w church

RGA

bernard.

There are three possibles but two are away from London. The remaining one is listed below but I don't think that it will prove to be your Grand-dad.

CHURCH, J.W.G. Sergt., R.B.

He joined in July 1917 and rapidly rose to the rank of Sergeant, which he attained at the early age of eighteen years. In February 1919 he embarked for Germany and served with the Army of Occupation on the Rhine. acting as a Quarter Master Sergeant until March 1920 when he returned home and was demobilised.

7, Pountney Road, Lavender Hill, S.W.11

I have looked at the other Churches from London but none with an address similar to the ones that you mentioned. Please understand that the National Roll of the Great War was a private vanity publishing enterprise. Nothing official about it and relied on people sending in their entries so it is neither complete or accurate. But it is better than nothing.

Jim,

Thank you so much for the info. As you rightly say - I do not think this was my grandad. But thank you anyway. I now understand a bit more about these National Rolls.

Many regards

Susan.