Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1066 Gnr. T.Brown R.A.

Tom Morgan

A customer has found this man's medal in his mother's house. It's a Victory Medal to 1066 Gnr. T. Brown R.A. He wants to know how he can find out more about Gunner Brown.

Researching individuals isn't my forte but I can see from SDGW that Gunner Brown appears to have survived the war. I also know that the Royal Artillery, being such a big regiment, is very difficult to research, but does anyone have any further info about this man, or anything they can work out from his number, or anything like that?

I don't want anyone to go to lots of trouble, but I'll be grateful for any easy bits of information, just to help me put together a useful reply if I can.

Tom

Tom,

He's probably this man. Also a Tom...

Medal card of Brown, Thomas

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 1066 Gunner

Royal Field Artillery 685266 Gunner

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

Those are TF numbers (the first being his "local" TF number assigned within the Brigade) and the second being his TF re-number in 1917. These were done in ranges by Brigade with the Div. Ammunition Columns also getting a range. I don't have SDGW but if you search for men with nearby numbers you should be able to narrow down his Brigade, and possibly even the Battery.

That is of course provided he didn't move about later on...

It's the Regulars that are the difficult ones in the RA!

There are of course people here who know the numbers, probably off by heart, but I'm not one of them!

Let us know if you can narrow him down any further.

Steve.

Tom: His six-digit TF number indicates that he enlisted with the 1/3 West Lancs Brigade, RFA which contributed the 277th Brigade, RFA TF to the 55th Division and 287th Brigade, RFA TF to the 57th Division. I have looked at the 1915 throught 1918 issues of "Kamp Knews" (Newsletter of the 3rd W Lancs Bde, RFA TF) and he does not appear in the lists of wounded or decorated. Regards. Dick Flory