Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A beautiful memorial plaque

Guest wrinklyone

Guest wrinklyone

Went to the theatre last week and saw 'The Producers'. You know, 'Springtime for Hitler' etc. Not my Tasse Tee I'm afraid, but I thought you guys might be interested in part of this rather splendid memorial for actors, musicians and workers in the theatre business. Hope you can read the dedications at least.

Lots and lots of names and, as its just inside the foyer, I hope to return some time and research some of them. But I guess that someone somewhere already has ...

post-7305-1128196653.jpg

Guest wrinklyone

Thanks for your responses. You'll see from the appended (but won't be able to read!) that there are well over 300 names on this plaque. I'll try to go through them and post to anyone remotely interested. Just don't hold your breath ...

post-7305-1128358416.jpg

Please forgive the flippancy, but I just LOVE the name of the officiating churchman; the kind of name certain Americans think we all have over here (and I speak as someone with a lot of American pals)

Getting real for a monment. I'm sure the theatre would co-operate if we asked them; and does the War Memorials Trust know about this one? They should, if they don't!

Phil,

you're right, theatrical in its own right, a clergyman out an Ealing comedy?

I'm happy to write to the theatre, but knowing the expertise of this Forum wanted to try and save myself a first-class stamp!

Bob

Perhaps the most famous 'thespian' to die - 'Gilbert the Filbert,'

RADFORD, BASIL HALLAM

Initials: B H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Flying Corps

Date of Death: 20/08/1916

Additional information: Son of Walter T. H. and A. L. M. Radford, of 206, Cromwell Rd., South Kensington, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 15.

Cemetery: COUIN BRITISH CEMETERY

Does anyone know who wrote the poem on the memorial - can't make out the name.

An actual name seems elusive on the Net, but Googling on some segments of the poem show that it's used in a post-WW1 Memorial Hall at Stroke Newington Public Library (first two lines) and the Memorial at Ampthill Park.

The words at the top read -

Honour to the immortal dead - that great white company of shining souls who gave their youth that the world might grow old in peace.

and below

These nobly played their parts, these heard the call

For God, King and Home, they gave their all.

Since ye who pass in quest of happy hours

Behold the price at which these hours were bought.

Strew here the fragrance of memorial flowers

The silent tribute of a grateful thought.

The name looks like - Louis H (Parker?)

Guest wrinklyone

I've been trying to make a list of the names shown but regret that my inexpert photography has resulted in many being indecipherable. Another visit to Drury Lane is indicated.

Guest wrinklyone

G B Rathbone is shown on the plaque - LH side, 1916, 3rd column, next to last. CWGC lists two (both with second name Benson) and the 1916 one is commemorated at Basra.

Radford is not listed. The Basil Radford we recall started his career in the 20s and made films in USA during 30s and 40s (remember those b/w Sherlock Holmes films?). It is certainly possible that his father had the same name.

Guest wrinklyone

Nah, my cock-up.

It was Rathbone (1892-1967) who played Sherlock Holmes. Radford (1897-1952) teamed with Naunton Wayne and they played film sleuths Charteris and Caldicott.

So a previous generation, but only Rathbone listed here as a thespian.

I'll try to find out more through the Theatre Museum.

Guest wrinklyone

One of the entries on the plaque is for G Du Maurier (LH side, 1915, 2nd column, 2nd name). CWGC names him as Lt Col Guy Louis Busson Du Maurier DSO of 3Bn RF. He was a playwright. His father was George Du Maurier, a writer, his brother was Gerald Du Maurier, the actor, and he was uncle of Daphne Du Maurier. The author of 'Rebecca' etc, she was married to Lt Gen Sir F Browning (he of 'a bridge too far').

Google lists several references to Guy, including a brief mention on

www.1914-1918.be/civil_ypres.php

which is a fairly lengthy account of the fine achievements of the Friends Ambulance Unit. Unfortunately my schoolboy French is severely deficient, but Google gives the following weird translation of the sentence:

'Gilbert Hosegood had however the cold comfort to be able to discuss with the colonel his brother, Guy of Maurier which little time after was to also perish!'

Guy died 09/03/15 at 49yrs. He is buried at Kemmel Chateau.

Is this the memorial for just Theatre Royal staff or several theatres? It look like a lot of names for just the TR i.e. it's bigger than the one at Liverpool St and hundreds of blokes worked there... Just curious.

Guest wrinklyone

As you surmise, mcderms, it is a memorial for all (or more likely most) of those connected with the theatrical profession in any way who died in or as a result of WW1 action.

I have now had a reply from the Theatre Museum which unfortunately doesn't have a list of the names shown. Suggested contacting the theatre itself, but I gather that Drury Lane no longer has an archivist.

Might be worth a letter? Some kind soul might copy down the names or photo them? Any Pals regularly pass by?

BOb

• 7 years later...

The Radford is Basil Hallam Radford, better known by his stage-name of Basil Hallam, or 'Gilbert the Filbert'. Killed on the Somme, he was a balloon observer, whose parachute failed to open.

Guy du Maurier was a professional career soldier until his death at 49. But he did write a play produced by his brother Gerald and JM Barrie - 'An Englishman's Home' - in 1909 which merits his inclusion on this board.

Stephen

• 11 years later...

Imperial War Museum website states following restoration the memorial is no longer at the theatre for public view

What a shame. What a bad decision .

I'll try to find out why this is the case