Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

where did he die?

Guest alanaffleck90

Guest alanaffleck90

private arthur millen1/22nd county of london regiment part of 6th london brigade 2nd london division [queens] was killed in action on july 8 1915.

can anyone help by letting me know where he was that day.

he is at rest in mazingarb

e cemetary.

Divisional History doesn't even mention July 1915! I can only assume they were holding the Line at that time - between Festubert in May, and Loos in September.

private arthur millen1/22nd county of london regiment part of 6th london brigade 2nd london division [queens]  was killed in action on july 8 1915.

can anyone help by letting me know where he was that day.

he is at rest in mazingarb

e cemetary.

The 22nd battalion had been badly mauled at Givenchy in May; the brigade (142nd) took a terrible pounding, as did the whole 47th (London) Division.

The whole Div was relieved and moved to the Maroc sector near Lens to rest and refit, The 22nd Battalion then served time in the front line through June & July. First at Les Brebis and then Mazingarbe, the latter may be where he died, at this time the battalion received a trickle of drafts from home, noted were the many French troops, the pleasant conditions and extremely quiet front line.

I think you may find Mazingarbe cemetery is close too the old front line, It was there in July having been established by the French in May 1915.

A closer look is required to uncover the when’s and how’s, Pte Millen, what happened to him on the 8th July 1915.?

Hope the above may start you off

MIDMED

P.S Les Brebis & Mazingarbe were approx 1000 yards from the front line North of Loos the 22nd Londons were billited in or near Mazingarbe at this time, On the 4th July enemy shells fell on 47th London billets at Grenay wounding many men belonging to the 15th Londons, i believe you had to pass through Grenay to get to Mazingarbe which was a little further down the line.

Guest alanaffleck90
The 22nd battalion had been badly mauled at Givenchy in May; the brigade (142nd) took a terrible pounding, as did the whole 47th (London) Division.

The whole Div was relieved and moved to the Maroc sector near Lens to rest and refit, The 22nd Battalion then served time in the front line through June & July.  First at Les Brebis and then Mazingarbe, the latter may be where he died, at this time the battalion received a trickle of drafts from home, noted were the many French troops, the pleasant conditions and extremely quiet front line.

I think you may find Mazingarbe cemetery is close too the old front line, It was there in July having been established by the French in May 1915.

A closer look is required to uncover the when’s and how’s, Pte Millen, what happened to him on the 8th July 1915.?

Hope the above may start you off

MIDMED

I don't have the 22nd London war diary yet, but the 23rd's war diary shows them sending out small covering parties for wirers throughout the first week of July. Perhaps the 22nd were doing likewise.

Matthew

Hello Matthew

Would be interested in the said battalions war diaries.

I have found the 24th & 22nd (the Queens) a little tricky and have little with regard the dates as above ..........

Very best

MIDMED