Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artemas

Muerrisch

In my collection I have three slim volumes:

The Book of Artemas 'concerning men, and the things that men did do, at the time when there was war'. There are two sequels, unsurprisingly and unoriginally, the Second book of Artemas, and the Third.

They are dated 1918 and 1919, and written in a pseudo- Old Testament style. The books comprise a history of the war primarily on the Home front, touching on all manner of subjects such as conscription : 'concerning those that went not forth to fight ..... the rulers .... call out all the young men.' Politicians get a drubbing.

So, knoweth thou my Pals who writest these tablets, and the ground of the back thereto?

[it is catching, I warn you]

Funnily enough I have just bought a very inexpensive copy of the 2nd book of Artemas - found in an Edinburgh bookshop.

My favourite volume(s) of this ilk are the three "First, Second & Last Diary of the Great Warr" volumes by Saml. Pepys Jnr. They are without doubt amongst the great parodies of their age and also double as fine pieces of political satire (Great War Politics only .......... is that OK JH). They come highly recommended by Cyril Falls.

In a similar vein there is also "The Song of Tiadatha" - Tired Arthur served in Salonika and his lieder were recorded by Owen Rutter who editied the "Balkan News" amongst other things.

David

On the presumption that my request cannot possibly contavene the Forum's "no current politics" rule, any chance of an extract of said drubbing?

John

Yes, when I have ten minutes: priority is getting Old Soldier Sahib to press, I am afraid.

And I do have Tired Arthur on my shelves.