Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Cemetery 31 Jul 17

Jack Sheldon

I suspect that this topic has been tackled before, but I am interested in trying to obtain really accurate and detailed information about this event. The BOH implies that all the tanks fell victim to an anti-tank weapon fired from a pill box near the location, but the eye witness account in 'Passchendaele' by Steel and Hart suggests that the situation may not have been quite so clear cut. Given that several of the tanks bogged down in the mud, it would seem to be just as probable that they fell victim to 'normal'artillery fire. Anyway I should be grateful for anything that anyone can contribute, including, if possible, anything on the German side.

Jack

Jack

There has been this recent thread. I can add quite a few more photos and post cards if required.

Regards

Simon

Having looked at some TC war diaries for this period it was my impression that not all of these tanks were KO'd on the same day. Indeed, some were simply report bogged on the way up to other attacks. It is some years since I looked at this material, however, so I may be mistaken.

Paul

Thanks for that. I think that you are probably spot on, although BOH gives the distinct impression that it was on the same day. The point that has been troubling is that none of the German regimental histories of those in and around it on 31 Jul 17 make any mention of it - which would be odd if one of them really had had such a success.

Jack

Paul

Thanks for that.  I think that you are probably spot on, although BOH gives the distinct impression that it was on the same day.  The point that has been troubling is that none of the German regimental histories of those in and around it on 31 Jul 17 make any mention of it - which would be odd if one of them really had had such a success.

Jack

May I ask a perhaps stupid question ?

What is the BOH ?

Vanbeselaere Johan

Poelcapelle 1917 Association

Tank Group