Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Mons

Devils Own

Hi Everybody

I am thinking about going to Mons for a day next week.

As it is only for a short time can anybody advise me on the primary things to see battlefield and graveyard wise?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Steve,

not been myself yet but I am in the planning stage for a trip next year and I am using one of the Battleground Europe books called 'Mons' by Jack Horsfall and Nigel Cave (isbn 0 85052 677 9) and there are a number of suggested tours in the back of the book.

Just an idea?

Enjoy your trip,

Regards,

Scottie.

Mons General Cemetery also has some very interesting graves

All The best

Chris

Don't forget to give the monkey on the town hall a rub. It's supposed to bring good luck (and I wonder how many soldiers in 1914 did just that!) - it works!!!! (shortly after rubbing it's head last time I was there, I went to a nearby bar and was bought several beers by the manager of the municipal campsite (where I was staying) who happened to be in there with his wife, found a pair of genuine Rayban sunglasses in the toilets of the same bar and managed to get free rail travel from Mons to Diekirch the day after!!!!)

Must be something in it! :D

Dave.

Thanks everybody,

I will test this monkey-rubbing theory by placing a large amount of money on the 3.40 at Newmarket.

I am not sure that I will be able to get hold of the battlefield book in time so I might leave early and go back to Ypres.

Cheers

Steve

if you are going to be at Ypres pop into the Flanders Field Museum shop as they have a good selection of battlefield guides and may have a copy of Mon's,

have a good trip wherever you end up,

Cheers,

Scottie.

Thanks Scottie

I have revised my plans yet again. I am now going to go down to Le Cateau to see if I can pinpoint the bridge where my grandad was shot and captured in October 1918. There are some Connaught Rangers buried in Beaurevoir nearby that I will also try to visit. I may stay over and visit the Somme the next day.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Paul

The website is very helpful.

Cheers

Steve

if you are going to be at Ypres pop into the Flanders Field Museum shop as they have a good selection of battlefield guides and may have a copy of Mon's,

have a good trip wherever you end up,

Cheers,

Scottie.

"The Grenadier" bookshop near the Menin Gate or "The Shell-Hole" on t'Hondstraat just off the the market place in Ieper will almost certainly have the Mons book, if the IFF shop doesn't.

Dave.

Steve,

being 'nosey' let us know how your trip goes and more about your Grandad, Le Cateau is also on my wish list to visit,

Regards,

Scottie.

Hi Scottie

I will certainly let you know what I find out. I think it will be quite a busy day.

Cheers

Steve