Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Search for Maternal Grandfathers records

Guest Garyrb134

After reading the post for Bombadier Phillip King, I will throw my request out with some hope.

I am told that my grandfather, Joseph Aston (b 1895?), was a Sgt Major in the Royal Horse Artillery and had five medals, one of which was a star (probably the 1914-15 Star with the Victory and War medals, other two unknown ..). My mother also remembers a photo of him on horseback and a shell casing which was engraved. One of the engravings was "Mesopotamia" but she can't give me a date. He was (almost certainly) born in Glasgow, Lanarkshire and lived all his days there..

I tried the MIC but with little real success and I was hoping someone may know how to use the extra information to help me..

Thank you in advance..

I have just put his name in the Mic section and there are three pages of them. One is in the Royal Garrison Artillery and two in Royal Field Artillery and that is only page one. Have another try, it may pay to download one, remember if you do that there are six to a page so only download one first then if there are more names you need to look at that aren't on that one download one of the missing names. Otherwise you may find, like I did, you will duplicate the same one and lose 3 pounds fifty.

Regards

Christina

Christina,

Thank you for that. You have found more than I was able to, yet there is no name that pins him down.. I am currently trying to canvass other relatives for information and hopefully that will narrow my search.

Just FYO, my uncle was also a Flight Sgt in the RAF and also on a Lancaster. I never knew him as he was shot down over Hamburg in 1943.

Thanks again

Gary..

Gary.

One of the Joseph Aston's (on the 3rd page of the MICs search) is listed as a Driver and he is the only one so listed. As the photo showed him on horse back it might be worth starting with this one.

Not definitive though.

Neil