Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

YPRES 10th-13th November 2005

Paul Johnson

I will be in the Salient between 10th -13th November and know at least one other Pal will be there.

But who else is going?

Will you be there?

I'd love to meet you if you are. Is there a Pals "meet & greet" planned and if not, what about one?

Regards

PAUL J :)

Yes I will be there. But who will take on the mighty task of organising a Pals meetup? Who indeed? In my experience it's best to say "if interested meet in such and such at 2000 hrs" and just show up.

Otherwise it's like herding cats :D

Chris,

Sounds like a good idea, although I am a cat lover.

Might be better to follow your tip I think.

Thanks for replying.

Hi

My partner & I are in Ieper over that period and would welcome the opportunity to meet for a drink.

However, please do not bring any cats as Jennie is VERY allergic to them.

Best wishes

John

OK all,

As one of the Presidents of the Murphfinthurs Tours, most of the committee aill be there (thats two of us out of three) we will be found in the sword on all of the above nights both pre and post Last Post. we will be the ones with the most glasses on the table!

all welcome to come and say hello, if for some reason I am not in there then I will leave a message as to where we are (we won't be far). I'm known in the Sword as have been going in for over 15 years! Stayed there quite a lot but now we rent a house just over the road.

Murphinters Tours was started some four years back after Rebekah suggested we name ourselves cos we go over such alot together.

We don't organise tours its just what we call ourselves and have a sign in our car windows so people who know us can find us!

Looking forward to seeing you all there and getting excited with each passing day.

Love Mandy

I will be there, with the Kent Fire and Rescue Service contingient. Going to lay a wreath at the Menin Gate, one at the Divisional cemetery down the road, then back to Ypres to have a few drinks in the Shellhole. I hope to see and speak to many of you.

Anyone else?

PAUL J

Nice to see that so many Pals will be there.

I look forward to meeting you all.

Regards

PAUL J

• 3 weeks later...

I just hope that Armistice Day, is remembered for what it is! Hope no more repeat of last years dreadful behaviour, by a very few Brit morons! Generaly, the majority of Brits behaviour in Ypres, is extremely good! We can only hope.

Chris,

I have no knowledge of what went on last year, so please enlighten me if I have got the wrong end of the stick, but I think I understand where you are coming from. However, I have to say that, from previous visits to Ypres, I have been pleasantly surprised and, on occasion, even impressed by the behavoir of young Brits.

Sure, occasionally I have seen a few that deserve a smack in the back of the head but, even counting those cases, the general standard of behavoir was far better than can be seen in many an English market town on any weekend evening.

I have mixed feelings. Certainly I would prefer that the disrespectful stayed away, but on the other hand, if other members of their groups gain an understanding and appreciation of what went on between 1914 and 1918 from their visits then maybe it is worthwhile. Those few that gain no insight won't be back again, but some of those that do may well take an active interest and they are the ones needed to promote remembrance down to their own generation. Perhaps the odd bothersome ones are a price worth paying.

Erwin,

We would have been absolutely delighted to attend your ceremony, but we won't arrive until mid afternoon on the 11th. Due to drink-driving laws we shall most probably spend the later evenings of the 11th, 12th and 13th in the Bar Carolus in Passendale. If you are around on those evenings, and see a group of English bikers, please come and introduce yourself. I will be the big ugly one with a beard!

Guys,

In response to the 'Brits abroard' I can say that over the years I have heard but not seen some of what you are talking about. In the latter part of of the 80's and early 90's it seemed that the boys were let out by the wives and were noisy but of the later years all has seemed calm.

I have been going over for the 11th since 87 apart from 90 and 93 when i was heavily pregnant with the children when i did not attend. School parties are more evident now and at first there were some schools who should have been banned but now most of them are respectful especially once the buglers start.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Mandy. you can recognize me I'm the one wearing a Poppy!!!!!!!

Will be in the area as I have been every year since 1996...

Not always at the Ypres Menin gate but very often a visit to a few of the cemetaries in the area.

Mandy, please allow those that live here, to see and talk about our observations that we see! I mentioned one incident. This is only one incident, that I have ever felt the need to mention! Perhaps you were not there on that occasion. Many of us certainly were. I am talking about Armistice day last year, when several drunken Brits, started fighting in the Grote Markt and smashed a plate glass window, during the evening. I and several other ex pats were in Sante. I think Jacky was also there, when the news came in. We saw the damage the next morning. If you pop along to Patrick and Fanny, who own and run Sante, they will tell you all about it! It realy did depress the end of a wonderful day. Our flemish friends were quite shocked, as they only have good words for us all! I'm afraid it seems to be a drink thing. If you observe the locals, it's pintje and talk! It's the minority of bad mannered, drink sodden Brits that let us all down! Why we have to get legless, every time we go for a drink, worries me. I just hope it doesn't happen again! Chris.

PS. Mandy, why don't you pop along to Sante, you will find quite a group of ex pats, who will be most pleased to meet you! Most are forum members, but they just watch and listen. It's not a Brit bar, it's full of locals too and what a helpful, decent bunch they are too! On second thoughts! Better leave Han's out of that last remark,he's a sort of cross, between Attila and Ghenghis Khan! :D:D Great bloke! Need anything bult or destroyed, he's your man! ;)

Chris,

I did not intend to offend so please accept my apologies. The brits abroard syndrome will hopefully be a thing of the past when the new drinking laws come in here.

Where is Sante? We usually drink in the Sword or occassionally one or two of the others in the Grote Markt.

I was there last year but at the end of the day we were in the Chinese having a good meal and finishing off the evening at the Menin Gate as usual.

Mandy

I am looking forward to meeting as many Pals as I can but it's the old story of how to recognise one another. At the risk of being branded a trouble maker, I assume that the "Badge" issue has still not been sorted out. (I haven't checked on it lately so I'll probably get told off by someone now!)

However, I have attached a photo of my handsome chops so if you see me in the street you can shout out, "Oi! Pal" and we can have a chat. Now, don't be shy, if you are going to be there place a photo here then we know who to look out for.

The picture is a recent one (Menin Gate in March) so I still look like this (no comments please, I've heard 'em all before!!)

As for the behaviour of Brits Abroad, I think that's a subject for another thread. I've seem them in many cities across Europe (usually where the beer is cheap) and, sadly, it often makes me ashamed to be British.

Anyway, look forward to seeing you in Ypres and please don't forget to let us know what you look like.

Regards

PAUL J ;)

post-1368-1130326368.jpg

Here is me. Taken on the way to France for the hols.

Hopefully will attach.

Mandy

Here is me. Taken on the way to France for the hols.

Hopefully will attach.

Mandy

post-6939-1130327288.jpg

post-6939-1130327677.jpg

Sorry everyone.

It didn't work, so if you want to see me you can look at my picture by going ito my name.

Mandy

Hi Paul

Here's something I said I'd never do ... put a picture on the forum!! Had to hunt for a picture as I'm normally on the other side of the camera. This was xmas day 2003. Perhaps a few pounds heavier and more snow in the hair but otherwise similar

Looking forward to meeting some other Pals in Ieper. We arrive on the 8th and leave on the 15th.

Kind regards

John

Well Done Mandy & John,

Lets have some more.

(John, who is the handsome chap with you?)

Regards

Superb dog mate! The back garden aint bad also! :D . Mandy, I shall be in "Sante" on friday evening. If you fancy a beer, pop in! The bar is owned by Patrick and Fanny. Pat is a Brit and Fanny is Flemish. The bar is on the corner of Boterstraaat and Patersstraat. 100 meters up from the Cloth hall and in front of the vismarkt. Nice place, good people and super Jupiler on draught. The locals love it! Chris.