Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Home leave?

BarbaraNev

My grandfather's medal card says he entered France on 12th August 1914 and was discharged on 22 November 1917. My mother was 6 months old when he died in 1922 so had no first hand knowledge of her father. However, my auntie was born on 11th November 1916 and was baptised in March 1917. He was a soldier on the birth certificate and his service number was on it. Working backwards from the birth he would have to have been home in February 1916. As he was not discharged until November in 1917 is it likely he would have been in hospital or convalescent home for such a long time? Would he have been allowed visitors? Family history is that he was gassed.

He received a pension until his death and then my grandmother received a "war widows pension".

I never thought anything of the birth of my auntie in 1916. I just assumed he was discharged before then. Every time I find something about him, it throws me off on something else.

Many thanks to all and any help

Barbara

I can confirm that many soldiers did enjoy reasonable periods of leave from the front. He would not have been at the front for the entire period

1914 to Feb. 1916.

Barbara

He'd certainly have been allowed visitors in hospital. He may also have been allowed home on leave from the hospital. Or been discharged from hospital but still on "sick leave" at home. Or he may have been home simply on leave from France.

Plenty of opportunity - if that was the question ;)

John