Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th Battalion (1st Leeds) West Yorkshire Rgt

Doug Lewis

Could anyone one tell me where the 15th Battalion were on 28/6/18,researching a man killed in action on this day. Any info would be apreciated.

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug, :)

I have emailed you with info !

Cheers

Tim.

Doug,

Obviously don't know what Tim has given you but I have the unit history if required.

Roy

Tim

Thanks for help (haven't received the email yet)

Roy

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug, :)

Emails kept on being returned, so here goes:-

Towards the end of the month the division was involved in 'Operation Borderland', an advance in conjunction with 5th Division further south. An attack was to be made by 92 & 93 brigades on La Beque Farm on 28th June, and the front line advanced to the road west of the farm. It was preceded by the capture of Ankle Farm, to the north of La Beque, by units of 92 Brigade, on the 27th. Assembly trenches were dug during the night of 27/28th by 12th KOYLI, and at 2.30am the Leeds Pals arrived in their positions.

At zero hour, 6.00am, the artillery and trench-mortars started their bombardments and the Pals attacked. The attack was a complete success. The Germans fled as the battalion advanced, and some of the Pals were even hit by the British artillery as they pursued the ememy. By 6.45am the objective had been taken and consolidation was underway. A report to Brigade HQ gives the enemy casualties as at least 135 dead, although there were some bodies that could not be recovered, and 122 captured, 92 of them by the Leeds Pals. Casualties amoung the pals were estimated at the time to be 22 dead including one Officer, and 4 died of wounds. 5 Officers and 138 men were listed as wounded, and one man was missing. The Officer 2nd Lieutenant George Hinchcliffe, a former Leeds Pal in command of 93rd Trench Mortar Battery, was killed by a sniper at 3am three hours before zero. He had joined the pals as a private in 1914, was wounded on 1-7-16 and was commissioned into the battalion in 1917. He had been married on a recent leave.

An expected counter- attack did not materialise and the Pals spent July taking there turn in holding the new line.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers

Tim.

Tim

That's brilliant thank you very much for this.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

I've e-mailed you the unit history stuff, let me know if you do/don't get it.

Roy