Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

122nd Siege Battery - Royal Garrisson Artillery

David W

Can anyone please give me any information about the above unit around this time.

A friend's relative was serving with it and died on 20/10/1918.

Where was it siuiated and what was happening around this time.

Any information much appreciated

David,

Can't give you the exact whereabouts they were, but 122nd(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. was formed at Dover on the 23rd March 1916. The nucleus of the Battery being formed from details of Sussex,R.G.A.(T.F.).

On 29/7/1917 122nd(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. & 182nd(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. received sections of 382nd(Siege)Bty,R.G.A which had been broken up.

In November 1918 122nd(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. was serving with 66th(Howitzer)Bde,R.G.A., Third Army, which consisted of the following units;-

122nd(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

306th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 4x 6inch Howitzers.

325th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

120th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 8inch Howitzers.

I'm sure other members of the Forum will be able to give you more detailed information of 122nd(Siege)Bty's movements in October 1918.

Graham.

Graham, apologies for the delayed reply due to being away.

Many thanks for the info you have provided can you suggest anywhere other than the NA to find info on the 122nd Siege Battery?

Many thanks again

David

David

The 122 Siege Battery diary at the NA ends Jan1918. The next best thing would be to order a copy of the 66 Brigade diary for October. 122 Sb were attached to 66 Brigade/HAG Dec 17 and as Graham indicated were still within this Brigade Nov 18. This diary will give in the margin the position of the Brigade HQ and may indicate battery positions ie map references. A battery location list may be at the back in the appendicies as they were required to provide one, whether it survived and is attached is another matter.

WO 95/395 66 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery 1917 May - 1919 Mar.

Stuart

Stuart

Many thanks for the advice thre it is much appreciated. As I suspected the answer to my query (and many others) lies within the NA and living in the North West makes life just a tad difficult and frustrating.

Thanks once again

David