Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

deleted

markinbelfast

Researching today and found a man that had  been wounded 76 times....cant post the article in this section!

was that in one event, or 76 separate incidents?

If it is the latter, one could claim he was both careless and exceedingly lucky.

In all seriousness, though, 76? how?

regards

doogal

Sounds like one incident. Multiple shrapnel type wounds perhaps? It poses the question - "Is there a maximum number of wound stripes allowed? I believe in a previous thread Carton de Wiart had 6 or 7. Phil B

PS Is he supposed to have 2 horns? Lucky devil surviving 76 wounds!

59th Coy RE was with 5th Div. which according ot parent site:-

The Division was one of the first to land in France, and as part of II Corps, took the brunt of the early fighting at Mons and Le Cateau. The Division remained on the Western Front throughout the war, taking part in most of the major actions, except for some months in late 1917-early 1918 when it reinforced the Italian front.

Just had a look and on the citation for John Cruickshanks VC in WW2 it has the line "he was found to have no less than 72 separate wounds" not directly related but I thought it worth posting - I knew that Either he or Bill Reid had a line in their citation mentioning a large number of wounds.

Alistair

p.s. should just add that I believe Mr Cruickshanks is still living a long and happy life

Captain Dugdale of the 6/K.S.L.I. had to help treat serveral wounded while cut off under a heavy barrage. One of them was wounded by innumerable little shell splinters sticking out of him. They had to strip the wounded officer as he appeared to be wounded all over his body. This officer was lucky unlike sapper Davison, he was back with the Battalion within three weeks.

Annette

mark, don't forget to bring yer camera, i would like to see a picture of (middle class)des with a shovel in his hand!

enoch

I was just thinking about that .... Terry Denham territory.

Gimme a PM when you are going to do a clean-up, good chance for a meet.

Des

No pictures .. no pictures.

Mark,

Ignore Des's no camera rule and get us a shot of him, will gladly buy you a drink if sucessful!!!!!!

Mandy

So which one is J.R. Hartley? and which is Des?

lol

Mandy

Hartley is, of course, the rich one ... see his travels to Italy, France, Belgium, US, Stockport. BOTTOMLESS wallet.

I am quite obviously the intelligent one.

All I'm going to is 'Handsome pair of b*****s' in the photo!

Mandy, hows that for staying on the fence

Re the grave query..

All casualties who qualify for war graves status are listed by CWGC and such a listing has no connection with who is responsible for the maintenance of a grave.

This is a private grave and therefore it is not the responsibility of CWGC. When a qualifying person died in their home country, the relatives were both allowed to choose the place of burial and whether to have a private stone or a CWGC official stone (remembering that the CWGC stone was not available until 1919 and many graves already had privaye stones by then).

Although CWGC is not responsible for maintaining these private graves, they do inspect them on a cycle of roughly three years to see if the name is still visible but not necessarily for the overall condition.

If the name becomes unreadable, they will try to have the situation rectified. This can be a long process as the legalities can be complicated. Usually they apply to the cemetery authority to erect a CWGC stone over the grave as they cannot do anything with the private stone as it is not their property. Sometimes this permission is not easy to get and is sometimes impossible.

The picture of this headstone shows that the name is still readable but is not in good condition as the leaden letters are missing. This is quite a common occurance and such a condition often leads to CWGC trying to erect a headstone. I know of a number of identical cases here in my home county. However, the surname is mentioned several times on the stone and so it may be further down the list of priorities.

CWGC will be aware of the condition of this stone and some sort of remedial action may be in hand. An enquiry to the Area Office would establish this.

cleaned11.jpg

I started it a small pair of scissors...a snip here and there...then another then carried away...couple of days hard work....some blisters and a great feeling deep down....will let you know when it's completed!

will still need a bit of a hand scrubbing down the actual surround...