Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2217 Pte J Duff 1st/5th Bn. K.O.Y.L.I.

dpy

Hello I'm new to this forum and have no experience of military research. James Duff was my Great Grandfathers Nephew, he was killed in action on the 27th May 1915 in France, he was just 17, I have carried out all the usual searches, internet, old newspapers etc and I now have a clear picture of the lads background and service. I would now like to take it a step further, I will add that until I found his Victory medal languishing in a garden shed ( now restored to it's proper place of honour in my house ) I don't believe any body alive today, knew that Jimmy Duff ever existed. Any advice regarding how to further research him or his unit would be much appreciated. I have a copy of his medal card and I know that he was part of a territorial unit based in Goole.

Regards Dave

Hello Dave

The 1/5th KOYLI landed in France on 13th April 1915. During the period 24th - 27th May the 5th were in newly dug trenches near Bois Grenier and during this time lost 12 men killed and 11 wounded due to enemy shelling of these new positions.

Andy

Hello Dave

The 1/5th KOYLI landed in France on 13th April 1915. During the period 24th - 27th May the 5th were in newly dug trenches near Bois Grenier and during this time lost 12 men killed and 11 wounded due to enemy shelling of these new positions.

Andy

Thanks for that Andy

I think I might have e-mailed you earlier this evening regarding a look up in your KOYLI books, do you have any more detail ? thanks again Dave

James Duff is remembered on the Scottish National War Memorial at Edinburgh Castle.

Surname DUFF

Firstname James

Service number 2217

Date of death 27/05/1915

Decoration

Place of birth Edinburgh

Other 1/5th Bn.

SNWM roll SCOTTISH CASUALTIES EXTRACTED FROM ENGLISH REGIMENTS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Aye

Malcolm