Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC Questions

Blackie250

Hi I have a query about this MiC for my grandfather, underneath his surname is a first name (which is not his) , however it is written at an angle to the left of the east surrey's and black watch reference's . Is it possible that the name rather than being a first name is an assumed surname that had been used and placed in reference to the regiment that he used that name?.

mic6by.jpg

If you look closely the name Samuel is an addition to the initial S and would therefore have been added at a later date. The army obviously considered this to be his forename, what do you know him as ?.

My GGrandfathers MIC is exactly the same.

Andy

If you look closely the name Samuel is an addition to the initial S and would therefore have been added at a later date. The army obviously considered this to be his forename, what do you know him as ?.

My GGrandfathers MIC is exactly the same.

Andy

He was know as Charles or Charlie, his postwar service record has his correct name also.

You could look up the medal rolls that the card refers to. They will confirm the first name that he used, and that appear on the medals.

Cheers Chris that's my next port of call when I get a chance to get up there.