Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bellewaarde 24-25th May 1915

Max

Hello Everyone

Could anyone please tell me what was the nature of the action at Bellewaarde on 24th-25th May, 1915. Also what part did the 28th Division take, if any.

Thanks in anticipation

Andrew Riding

Hi Andrew

To keep it breif, the fighting on the 24th May, 1915, at Bellewaarde Ridge was the last days fighting of the Battle of 2nd Ypres, which had began on the 22nd April. The 28th Div. was very much involved, the Germans attack fell on them and the 4th Div. Both Divisions lost some of their line, the 28th Div. lost part of its line from the Menin Road to the Roulers railway line, also the Cav. Div. lost a bit of its line to the right of the Menin Road. The 27th Div. made counter-attacks but did not regain the line, a new line formed near Witte Poort Farm.

Annette

Thanks for the info Annette. Just to clarify, did the loss of ground you alude to occur during the period 22nd April - 25th May as a whole or just 24th-25th May, 1915.

Thanks again,

Andy

Hi Adny

The lost ground that I refer to, took place on the 24th May, if i can scan a map from the official History without damageing the spin then I will email it to you.

Regards

Annette

Thanks Annette, that would be fantastic. My email address is tray1@tinyworld.co.uk

Andy

John,

go to mother site and search divisions , it will give you a full break down of units atttatched.

Arm.