Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pioneer Woof

Kate Wills

Pals

A nearby thread concerning Dogs, in the New to this Forum section, contains some information extracted from our copy of 'British War Dogs' by their supremo Lt.Col E Richardson. I have it open before me as I type, and yes, it really does list

360174 Pnr. (Pioneer?) T.W. Woof

in the nominal roll of dogs and keepers of No 3 section of the Messenger Dog Service.

Is this a simple misprint? Do I detect an irrepressible sense of fun on Col. Richardson's part? Or was there really a dog handler by the name of WOOF?

FETCH!!!

Kate - Richardson may have spotted the humour but he didnt fabricate it - 360174 Thomas W Woof RE's medal index card shows entitlement to the British War & Victory Medals, and previous service as Pte 5035 / 267131 in the West Riding Regiment.

You'd have to check for a surviving service record to see if he was actually in the RE Messenger Dog Service, but he certainly existed.

I suspect that someone handling postings in an RE Base Depot may have had a passing laugh over this, and no doubt Woof would have known every joke ever invented about barking dogs by the time of his discharge :D

regards - Tom

Tom,

Many thanks for this, which I shall cut out and keep with the book as proof.

I wish I could give you a choccy treat for your efforts, but would a cyber-hug suffice?

Ta muchly

Kate

Kate - I'm afraid that ongoing "waistline considerations" demanded that action be taken on EITHER the chocolate OR beer fronts, so I'm afraid that (obviously) "choccy treats" are out of the question.

Just in passing - the "odd" names that you find when searching the Army records, - last week I was looking at a Bn of the Welsh Regiment and came across an officer casualty during March 1917, and couldn't help wondering how much "stick" he must have taken in the mess, - Oscar Reginald Frankenstein !

regards - Tom