Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Battle of Loos

armourersergeant

Hope this question isn't too didatic from this thread (promise I am not trying a hijack) but I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the Loos Memorial to the Missing. I know I could find pics in books, internet, etc, but I tried the Forum first and came up empty. The image just escapes me at the moment, and it seems that of all the pictures included on Forum this should certainly be one. Thanks, Andy

Just putting a reminder for those interested in Loos - tonight's episode of 'Finding the Fallen' dealt with the recovery and subsequent story of a German Soldier recently excavated from the 1915 Loos battlefield. It is a superb programme, far superior to the last two episodes. It is repeated at 1.00 am tonight on Discovery Civilisation Sky 554.

Andy

Here are a couple more pics, taken last November. If you want more, I can send you a cd with 13 others, as well as pictures from Ypres and the Somme.

Dave

post-7552-1132099932.jpg

post-7552-1132099887.jpg

Just a bit of a warning. My wife and I were in Ypres at the end of October and we met a couple in the Shellhole who had visited the Loos Memorial and had been the victim of a smash and grab from there car whilst in the cemetery.

Andy

In rememberance to Gefreiter Leopold Rothärmel, 9th Coy, 16th Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment. Killed in action in the Hohenzollern Redoubt, 3 October 1915 from a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Buried by his comrades in October 1915, found 11 February 2005.

Ralph

Hope this question isn't too didatic from this thread (promise I am not trying a hijack) but I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the Loos Memorial to the Missing.  I know I could find pics in books, internet, etc, but I tried the Forum first and came up empty.  The image just escapes me at the moment, and it seems that of all the pictures included on Forum this should certainly be one.  Thanks, Andy

Hi Andy

I have quite a few pics of the Memorial & surronding area (a couple of the pics have me & my 3-month-old daughter in). There is also a shot of the Double Crassier & also the lie of the land from the back of the Memorial looking roughly towards Hulluch.

There's about 15MB all up. If you want more info, let me know.

Regards

Pat Barnes