Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Roll of Honour CD's

Hindoo Stan

Hi Pals, I need to order back copies of Family History Monthly magazines complete with complementary CD attached. I'm only interested in the copies which carry the Great War Roll of Honour CD's since they seem such a bargain. However the mag info does not make it clear as to which months issues include the relevant CD's. Can anyone help me with a list of the correct issues to order. My local library doesn't carry the mag. Tim

Whilst I cannot answer your question, before forking money out on the issue you require make sure that the CD is complete! I recently purchased the magazine when it advertised the 1861 Middx census, only to find it is one exerpt from that area on the CD. As it wasn't the area I wanted I wasted my money.

Regards Christina :(

The one recently given away was Volume 1 : London (One of 4 London Volumes, I believe). It was complete as a volume and in alphabetical order but not searchable (basically one page = an image)

I don't know of any others that have been on CD. My copy of the magazine is still in one of my house-moving boxes so I couldn't tell you which one...

"The Great War" has been serialised in one of the magazines as well on a regular basis.

Steve.

Thanks for the word of warning Christina though I agree with Steve in that I believe the CD is comprehensive for the given volume and that the search facility, although limiting is still useful. I think five or six Great War Roll of Honour CD's have already been issued free with Family History Monthly. This subject has been covered on a different thread that I now can't locate. The magazine itself is not much help in identifying the appropriate back numbers which carry the CD's hence the original plea. Tim

If you look at "sandn" genealogy site they give a list of all those they have for sale - 14.99 each volume. Apparently at moment London is covered by 5 separate cds - three of which cover different areas

Section 01 - London (West, Central and North)

Section 02 - London (West, Central and North again)

Section 03 - London (West, Central and yes, youv'e guessed North)

Section 07 - London (West, South East and Central)

Section 13 - London (South East)

Also, there is a Record of War Service - London County Council Staff

all items appear to be 14.99 each.

Worth mentioning, I put a posting asking for help with area (as PRO Website - aka Nat. Archives was not very forthcoming as I was told to look there for boundaries) - Friend from this forum says these are not very acurate. So I did not bother to order.

Just as an extra -

Family History - September 2005 issue included a disc Genealogy Gateway (no. 11) which has National Roll of the Great War London Section one - so I suppose this deals with West, Central and North - 1st out of three). according to S and N site.

Will look up anything if you want - it IS actually one of the discs that hadn't been knicked by the time I brought the magazine from WH Smith's.......... I usually buy this magazine each month and also take FT magazine if there is anything in there you want.......

Susan.

Thanks Steve and Susan for a comprehensive reply and the PM Susan clarifying the situation. I contacted the aforesaid mag and it turns out they have only produced the one National Roll CD on it's covers and that was in September 05. Issue number 121. I thought they had done more, (still might!), must have been getting mixed up with S and N offering. True to my thrifty Yorkshire roots I was simply looking to improve my database of reference material at modest cost and yes, why is it that half of all the CD's on these mags are missing when you get to the newsagents I wonder. Anyhow my three quids in the post for a back copy. Thanks all Tim

tim,FH have only done one copy of the national roll,but they have been giving away copies of the great war magazine on cd for a few months now,is this what you mean,bernard

tim,FH have...... been giving away copies of the great war magazine on cd for a few months now,is this what you mean,bernard

Hi Bernard not sure if that's Family History Monthly. Could it be another mag with a similar name? I now have a list of all FHM CD contents on covers going back to October 2003. The only one of Great War interest is the one Roll of Honour volume. Tim

The Great War serialisation is in a different mag. But they do all have similar names!!

Steve.