Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Troop/hospital ships

mwsmith

Has anyone any info on the DUNEDA which was a troop or hospital ship transporting the injured from France to the UK. Also any info about military hospitals in the Stoke area in November 1914.

Mike

Mike

There is no "DUNEDA" listed as a British hospital ship in the Official Medical History. Could it be a Dominion ship? Do you have an idea of dates, I may be able to spot a similar name. Will get back to you on the Stoke issue.

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...
Mike

There is no "DUNEDA" listed as a British hospital ship in the Official Medical History.  Could it be a Dominion ship?  Do you have an idea of dates, I may be able to spot a similar name.  Will get back to you on the Stoke issue.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have a photo of the DUNEDA but it may have been mis-spelt. Is there a Dunedin perhaps. The photo is undated but I think it may have been taken in the second half of 1917. Any news on hospitals in Stoke.

Thanks again and regards Mike

Mike

Afraid I have come up blank on the hospital ship issue. With regards to Stoke, my geography of the UK is the problem. Hospitals are listed by region and simply by individual name. I cannot see any listed as "Stoke", but the list is long! Can you give me any pointers?

Regards

Andrew

Mike

Geography improving.....

Stoke on Trent War Hospital at Newcastle-under-Lyme, 711 beds for Other Ranks, no Officers beds. Housed in "Poor Law " premises. This hospital is listed as under Local Government Board control, so maybe try the archives of the Stoke Council??

Andrew

Hi Dave,

SS Dunera is the ship I am after. The photo you posted matches my own handed down since 1918. My Grandfather told his daughter (my Auntie) that he had been evacuated from the Western Front after being wounded, I think in 1917.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Regards Mike

Mike

Geography improving.....

Stoke on Trent War Hospital at Newcastle-under-Lyme, 711 beds for Other Ranks, no Officers beds.  Housed in "Poor Law " premises.  This hospital is listed as under Local Government Board control, so maybe try the archives of the Stoke Council??

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Another Pal has tracked down the ship as the Dunera. The photo matches my own. The hospital sounds right. He was admitted to a hospital in Stoke on 1st November 1914 after being hit in the calf with some shrapnel near Gheluveldt while a Coropral in 2KRRC. He was shipped back again, possibly in July 1917, possibly on the Dunera, after a disaster that befell 2KRRC at Nieuport Bains.

THanks again for your efforts.

Mike