Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Human Traces, Sebastian Faulks

aliecoco

Hi,

I know its not a Great War historic book, just a novel, a story that looks from the cover that its set at some point during the great war. (I also know that alot of readers hate SB and Birdsong - but I love it, it changed my life and I really do mean that.)

So without covering old ground as such, I just wondered if anyone had read this book yet? I would love to get your thoughts.

Alie.

Alie

Haven't read the book yet but did read a review in the Waterstone Quarterly Magazine and it certainly looks a powerful read.

"Jacques son , Daniel fights in the First World War and there are powerful scenes of death and battle in HumanTraces, but Faulks is quick to pre-empt any comparisons with Birdsong, playing down the decision to return to the trenches - It's simply a consequence of setting the novel over the period of time in which it was set"

According to the review the book asks readers "to re-assess the meaning and value of beng alive"

I agree with you about Birdsong Alie, I'm 3/4 through it and am gripped by it. Maybe its not for the purist but it has all the ingredients you need for a book you can't put down.

I plan to read Human traces but will probably wait till its available in P/Back. the main theme is two friends set up a clinic in Austria to study how the mind works embarking on careers in psychiatry, both eventually following different routes. It is set largely in the latter part of the 19th century.

Atholl

Hi Atholl,

What a lovely reply! Thanks for that, you have certainly made me want to get this book. Like you though, I think I will wait for the paperback. I get really excited about a new book and the Waterstone review has intrigued me more.

I am wondering how you are getting along with Birdsong? Have you finished it yet? You might not have had a chance to read today, but I think that you are almost there.

I hope you are still enjoying it.

Thanks again.

Alie.

Hi Atholl,

I am wondering how you are getting along with Birdsong? Have you finished it yet? You might not have had a chance to read today, but I think that you are almost there.

Hi Alie

I managed to read a bit last night to the point where Elizabeth interviews Brennan in the home..

Intrigued now as to how the final act is played out..will try and finish it over the next night or so.. I suspect I'm going to miss the book when I finish it.. haven''t felt like that about all that many novels in truth but its good when you get one.

I'm going to embark on the Regeneration "trilogy" next.. started it a couple of times but got waylaid when I left my copy in a pub in Edinburgh a couple of years ago .. I was sober which made it worse.. just bought a second hand copy to give it another go..

Atholl

I'm delighted to see some positive comment on novels set around the great war. I have enjoyed a number of them in my time and they can make fine reading as long as I don't don an anorak and point out that the tin hat the author mentions wasn't introduced until a month after the battle being described. Novels are fiction, even though they may be based in fact. As long as the author spins a good tale I'm happy.

Most recently I've enjoyed Gallipoli: Long White Cloud by Buket Uzuner to the point where it has been difficult to put down.

See Book

Sadly although available in translation it is not generally available in the UK so it is best ordered from Turkey.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply. I am pleased that you too like a good novel set around the great war. Unfortunately I am not as knowledgeable as you or many others on this forum, but I try not to take everything as fact.

Long White Cloud, looks a great story when I checked out the link. But as you say it could be hard to get hold of.

I have just bought another novel set around the great war, 'In Pale Battalions' by Robert Goddard. Looks good from the cover but I haven't started it yet.

Sometimes I think that I shouldn't be reading these novels, if I want to improve my WW1 knowledge. But I do especially like reading memoirs. Presently I am still in the middle of reading 'Private 12768' by John Jackson. I am also reading the latest 'Stand To'. (Haig Tally-ho and historical amnesia!) Of course, I absolutely loved Cynthias novel, and can't wait for her next to get printed. I don't doubt the facts then! (Hope to see you both on her next visit).

I trust you enjoyed your trip to Loos!

Atholl, how are you getting on with Birdsong?

Alie.

Atholl, how are you getting on with Birdsong?

Alie.

Finished at the weekend Alie .. great book .. and a good ending.. too many just tail off leaving loose ends but thought the finale brought the strands of the story line together well.

I also thought it poignant that renewed hope brought the book to its conclusion.. and only the reader shared the significance.. .sorry won't spoil it for anyone yet to read.. ;)

Started Pat Barkers Regeneration so running with the fictional Great War theme for a while yet in my moments of literary pursuit..

Atholl

Guest The Hidden Paw

There is an interesting piece by Sebastian Faulks here describing some of his background research for the novel.

I am looking forward to reading it when it’s issued in paperback.

Martin,

I'd like to get a copy of the Gallipoli book & have logged on the site through your link, but how do I get the procedure to order in English, please?

Bob

I'm delighted to see some positive comment on novels set around the great war. I have enjoyed a number of them in my time and they can make fine reading as long as I don't don an anorak and point out that the tin hat the author mentions wasn't introduced until a month after the battle being described. Novels are fiction, even though they may be based in fact. As long as the author spins a good tale I'm happy.

Most recently I've enjoyed Gallipoli: Long White Cloud by Buket Uzuner to the point where it has been difficult to put down.

See Book

Sadly although available in translation it is not generally available in the UK so it is best ordered from Turkey.

Thanks for this Martin. I too, love literary fiction, including GW fiction. I have the new Sebastian Faulkes book too.

When buying from Turkey, Martin, how do prices and postage compare with AMazon?

Robbie

Robbie & Martin,

I found a copy of the Gallipoli book in the UK at The Book Place, www.thebookplace.co.uk.

This was a paperback & I really wanted a hardback so I contacted the Robinson Crusoe bookshop in Istanbul, they were very obliging, but said it had only ever appeared in softback, so I stuck with my original UK order. Hopefully they've more than one copy if you're interested,

Bob

• 9 months later...

I thought Birdsong so bad I did not finish it, got stuck on a plane with only one of the Regeneration books so had to finish it, terrible. For great war fiction the good work is done by those who were there but still write a novel like the wonderful Spanish Farm Trilogy, Mottram.

• 2 months later...

Just finished reading the paperback version of Human Traces whilst sunning myself in Kenya.

A most memorable book that I truly miss now I have finished it.

WW1 is only a smallish part of it and I found the great detail on the medical side of things a bit heavy going but an excellent book.

Sometimes it is too easy to be critical of novels, but I always go on the maxim "did it hold my attention and make me want to read it ?"

Birdsong did for me, personally.

It is not often easy to divorce the story from it's setting and easy to pick faults in accuracy, but many stories to me, are much more than mere fact providers and I try to look at a novel as just that, a novel.

Be it the use of words, or descriptive language, or sympathetic characters- many novels are good reads without being fine works of history.

Hi

I loved Birdsong and couldn't put it down so I was looking forward to reading this very much. However I found it quite disappointing. WW1, as previously mentioned, only takes up a very small part of the book. the book contains a lot of heavy descriptions of mental health issues and their treatments and I found it hard-going.

i finished the book but I couldn't honestly say I enjoyed it. if anyone is looking for a novel purely about WW1 then I wouldn't recommend this.

Angela

I have just bought another novel set around the great war, 'In Pale Battalions' by Robert Goddard. Looks good from the cover but I haven't started it yet.

Hi

I have read "In Pale Battalions" by Robert Goddard and loved it but then i am biased as he is one of my favourite authors.

I also have read Birdsong i found it highly moving and set me on the path of learning more about the great war which can't be a bad thing......

Cheers sandra