Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/4th York & Lancaster Rgt

Chris_Baker

Can anyone tell me the whereabouts and activities of 2/4th York & Lancaster, 187th (2/3rd West Riding) Brigade in the 62nd (2nd West Riding) Division, on 5 September 1918?

The West Riding Territorials in the Great War does not mention that date, but it does say the Division attacked Havrincourt September 12th - 15th.

Prior to that it mentions hard fighting and then withdrawn for a few days rest, but no dates.

Volume 1 of the History of the 62nd Division stops at 25th August, and that is the one I have with me just now. I can get volume two from the library but they keep it in a warehouse out of town so it takes a few days to get hold of, but it would be no trouble at all, just a matter of waiting for the book to make it to the library. It seems to be quite detailed.

Tony.

• 2 weeks later...

Volume 2 of the History of the 62nd Division says that at 3 a.m. on 3rd September 1918, the 187th Infantry Brigade marched back to the Ervillers - Behegnies area, and that the Division was now in VI Corps support. It records around 25 officer casualties on the 2nd September then none until one officer is accidentally injured on the 7th. Between those two dates the book deals with the artillery only. The map shows the battalion near Vraucourt on the 2nd.

Tony.

post-3707-1128443946.jpg