Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Caterpillar Crater

Muerrisch

At last I have managed a visit to the crater, following its fairly recent availability to the public. I was very impressed with the crater size, and the beauty with which nature has disguised it. Highly recommended, less than 10 mins by foot from Hill 60.

Cross the bridge over railway and immediately strike off left parallel to railway, through two totally pointless green turnstiles [no fence!], continue into edge of wood with railway still on left, and, suddenly, on your right, there it is. Not to be missed.

We went a few years ago and found it very moving, even the children were silent for a while.

Well worth the visit.

Mandy

on the oposite side of the railroad at Hill 60, Flanders

Pardon my complete ignorance, but where is Caterpillar Crater?

I thought I described where it was !!!!!!!!!!!!

However, Hill 60 is a well-known site to the East of Ypres, on any Battlefields map. Essential place for Gt War aficionados.

Guest Simon Bull
I thought I described where it was !!!!!!!!!!!!

However, Hill 60 is a well-known site to the East of Ypres, on any Battlefields map.  Essential place for Gt War aficionados.

Sorry Langleybaston - I am being more than usually stupid. I had skip-read your posting and noted the directions, but not the starting point. Even I have enough brain cells to know where Hill 60 is!

My apologies.

It's nice to be able to visit it these days without running the gauntlet of guard dogs as I used to have to do!

(I don't know why the dogs here were so vicious (or, also the "guard geese" at Croonaert Wood) - it wasn't as if I was going to steal the crater!!!)

Dave.

I first saw the crater in 2002 - the main obstacle was the cranky old bull that I suspect the farmer had strategically placed to hinder access! The turnstiles were set into a fence as I recall...

I think it's one of the most impressive craters on the Western Front.

Cheers,

Mat

I agree that the Caterpillar Crater is a very impressive one. Though not as big as the Spanbroekmolen Crater, it does give a better impression of a (now) very peaceful place bearing the scars of a past horrific upheaval. I think so, anyway.

If you have the time, take a walk through Battle Wood behind the crater - very peaceful and pretty at any time of year.

Mat - the bull must be a "seasonal" thing. Whenever I've visited the crater, the field has contained just a few disinterested cows. Pending the construction of a new fence, though, the field is currently empty.

Tom

Hi Simon, :)

I agree very nice picture, have you any others ?

Cheers

Tim.

Totally agree with the rest, very nice pic Simon!

Did you make this one with Arcview Image-warp? And if I may ask, is the overlaying map a digital photograph from one of the maps in the War Diaries at the N.A.?

regards,

Bert

Thanks all for comments re the overlay, and thanks Aurel for the nice photos.

I have one or two others of these overlays, which I could post. There is also one in the Tyne Cot thread and one of the Glory Hole somewhere in the forum.

The map is from a scan of a laser copy of National Archives WO153/909.

Bert - I didn’t use any fancy software, just a photo editing suite which came with an old Lexmark printer. I believe there is software which is more suited to map overlays, where you can tie up points on two maps and then it will automatically scale and orientate. I find this bit very fiddly.

Regards

Simon

well, even without fancy software it truned out really well!

Just a little question, can you order digital scans than from archival pieces from the N.A.? Or do you take your own hand-scanner? I have tons of these maps digitally photographed, but photos are no good for overlays.

regards,

Bert

can you order digital scans than from archival pieces from the N.A.? Or do you take your own hand-scanner? I have tons of these maps digitally photographed, but photos are no good for overlays.

Bert

I purchased this as a paper laser copy about 9 years ago but they will supply digital photos on CD.

Simon