Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wounded Soldiers

belgotim

The pages that Chris has dedicated to describing the various stages of medical treatment injured soldiers could expect to come accross provided interested parties with detailed information.

I was wondering however whether there are lists, book, documents...detailing who was injured when and where and where that person was taken to to be treated.

Would this be part of the information that was last during the bombings of WW2 or do these records still survive?

thanks.

Hello

"The Times" newspaper listed wounded men - it is occasionally "on-line" for free but can be frustrating to search

Ian

Thanks for this....I must admit, I was hoping for something more substantial than having to peruse the Times online :)

Belgotim - the mosty likely source for info on wounded soldiers is .. as usual .. the old 'local rag' of the time. In my experience, the smaller the town, the more likely you are to get greater detail.

Most local studies libraries will have these old papers on microfilm. Find out where your man was from, work out his local paper and then check with local studies librarian if they have the relevant papers.

It can be a long slog but very worthwhile. It is remarkable how much detail these old reports go into. It was not unusual for 'wounded reports' of the early months of the war to include where the soldier was being treated.

Des

Hi Des,

thanks for this!

Unfortunately, all three of my ancestors came from Antwerp, Belgium...so not sure whether they would have been mentioned in local papers as Antwerp would have been under German occupation. Will give it a shot though!

Tim

hello

well if that The Times isnt substantial enough then try "The Sun" ...

:P

Ian

Thanks for this....I must admit, I was hoping for something more substantial than having to peruse the Times online  :)