Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ROYAL DEFENCE CORPS

philrigger

On researching a relative I find that he transferred from the 19/Manchester Regt to the Royal Defence Corps in 1917. I believe that the RDC was a mobile form of Home Guard, made up of soldiers that were unfit for overseas service for whatever reason. I have been unable to find any worthwhile information on this organisation. Anybody out there able to help?

Phil,

The Royal Defence Corps was formed by Royal Warrant on 17th March 1916 and it's original 18 battalions were formed by the transfer of a number of regimental (Home Service)Garrison Battalions to the new Corps.

Those that served within it's ranks were fit for Home Sevice only through either wounds, ill health or simply age and although they were formed for Home Defence, they cannot be regarded as "Home Guard" which was the role of the Volunteer Training Corps/Volunteer Force.

They were used primarlily for guarding vunerable points, factories, railways and so on and later POW's. Recently we had a post which had a photo of a group of them, which were originally thought to be Norfolk Yeomanry, as they wore a similar cap badge, but the age of the men within the group was the clue as to who they actually were.

They do have their own Medal Roll Books, as many of them were returned servicemen and as the books were administered by the London Territorial Force Association, they have not only the mens previous unit(s), but also the actual dates that they served overseas.

Graham.