Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Richard Davies Medaile Militaire

AB64

I have just bought a paybook to Private Richard Davies 39042 of the 18th Welsh & 32562 of the East Lancs at some point he was awarded the French Medaile Militaire and the Croix De Guerre- not sure of his unit when he earned the awards - I am interested in any info on him.

Thanks in advance

Alistair

Did someone order a Decoration Militaire avec Croix de Guerre ? :D

London Gazette 24-10-1919 (Published 21-10-1919)

Decoration Militaire avec Croix de Guerre.

32562 Private Richard Davies, M.M., 11th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment (Pencader, Carmarthen).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

Thanks for that lightning fast response - I am downloading acrobat reader so I can check it out (I have it on the PC at my parents but not here - yet). When it has him as M.M. does that mean he already held the Military Medal?

Thanks again

Alistair

Yes, it should mean that.

But, I can't find an MIC and there are 100+ R. Davies and 56 Davies. R in the London Gazette!!

I think finding the MIC will be the easiest!

Steve.

Thanks again - I had a check on the LG website and got 18 matches on richard davies, that led me to the one you had already posted but I couldnt find anything earlier - in the past I have searched by number but its a bit hit and miss with that. I will go on line and get his MIC, I have been trying to avoid doing that of late as when the MICs first went on line I got carried away and spent about £130 in one night going through my WW1 paybooks and getting the related cards.

cheers

Alistair

I would only look for a WO372/23 MIC - those are the MM and DCM ones. The others are Service Medals except WO372/24 which are MIDs, MSM, etc.

The main MIC would probably only state "MM". Not much help...

Steve.

Thanks again, I will probably just downlaod anything I can get - even if their isnt anything really helpful its just best to gather anything I can to go with the book.

Can you clarify one other thing - when the Gazette has him as 11th East Lancs, is that his unit when he won the award, or his unit at the time of the Gazette (or his last unit if discharged)

Thanks

Alistair

I'm not 100% on this one, but I believe it is the unit in which he is both in at the Gazette date and when he won the award. I have seen them stated as "RE Depot, formerly of 88th Field Coy" or "3rd North'n Regiment, formerly 6th North'n Regiment", for example. I'm not sure if this format was used in every case. It wasn't really necessary until they started giving full details again after the war. (Details were also given for early awards from 1914, 1915 and early 1916. MMs only had full details between the inception of the medal in March 1916 and about June 1916)

Steve.

I think the Welsh was his first unit and he seemed to be with them in early 1918, so if he won the French award after he moved to the East Lancs I guess he won it mid to late 1918 - his letter about collecting the award is from the Adjutant of the 2nd South Lancs and addresses him as late of the East Lancs, but again I didnt know if that meant they were his unit when he won or just his last unit. I dont actually have the paybook yet, with a bit of luck it will yield more info when it turns up in a few days.

Alistair

• 2 weeks later...

Got the paybook in (a wee while ago just havent got round to posting) - nothing in their of any real note - also with it was his discharge certificate which shows his "Militaire avec Croix de Guerre L Gaz 24/10/19" along with War and Victory but it makes no mention of an MM. As for Unit all I seem to have is 18th Welsh until at least Jan 1918 - then to 13th East Lancs, then his Gazette and discharge is from 11th East Lancs. I still have to get round to getting his MIC, but should do that soon. If anyone is Carmarthen area and can check local papers for him when next they are having a look that would be much appreciated - he was from Pencader.

Thanks

Alistair

Finally downloaded the MIC (just the basic one) and other than War and Victory their is nothing extra mentioned.

Alistair