Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Died at sea, Gallipoli

Guest geoff501

Pte. SS/17091 John Bradley RASC died at sea 07/12/1915.

Can anyone help find which ship and what the incident was? I've not been able

to locate a sinking on this date. He is commemorated on the Helles Memorial.

Hi Geoff

John Bradley seems to have been buried at sea, as distinct to "lost at sea". Its highly likely therefore that he died at sea on a hospital ship, having been wounded, or contracted an illness, on Gallipoli. The timing could also relate to the great storm on Gallipoli 28-30/11/15, when many soldiers were evacuated. There were 5,000 cases of frost-bite, and obviously many complications would have set in following the hardship suffered by many of the men ashore.

Incidentally, I have researched the soldier immediately preceding him in the register, Harold Bradley. Small world!

Index of Marine Deaths for the year 1915

Bradley, John age 26 HMS Queen page 703

(From files kindly forwarded me by Pete Wood.)

Kath.

John Bradley seems to have been buried at sea, as distinct to "lost at sea". Its highly likely therefore that he died at sea on a hospital ship, having been wounded, or contracted an illness, on Gallipoli. The timing could also relate to the great storm on Gallipoli 28-30/11/15, when many soldiers were evacuated. There were 5,000 cases of frost-bite, and obviously many complications would have set in following the hardship suffered by many of the men ashore.

Incidentally, I have researched the soldier immediately preceding him in the register, Harold Bradley. Small world!

Greenwoodman, Yes small world. Thank you for the detailed reply, seems to explain the situation.

Kath, thanks for the record details, I did not know his age but do now thanks to you.

Index of Marine Deaths for the year 1915

(From files kindly forwarded me by Pete Wood.)

Kath, I was not aware of this list. Can you please check another name for me:

Sapper 6888 Lionel Hemingway Corps of Royal Engineers 09/05/1915. He died at sea but is buried on land. I already have the CWGC and SDGW info. Thanks a lot in advance.

Geoff,

Can't find him in Marine Deaths for the year 1915

These lists are in: http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/LogonServlet

He may be in the index for army deaths on this site.

I found this, but you have to pay to look at the entry.

GRO ARMY DEATH INDICES (1881 to 1955) 1911 - 1915 HAGLEY to HERLIHY

Kath.

It is interesting that the death is recorded against HMS Queen which was not a hospital ship. I wonder what the circumstances were? Was he being evacuated to Mudros (or Egypt, or Malta) on Queen because it was returning to Mudros for some reason