Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS Air Mechanic's notebook

LowNslow

The attached are a few pages from a 1918 RNAS Air Mechanic's notebook which I recently acquired. (I posted these a few weeks ago on another aviation site, but having discovered this one - it seems a more appropriate place!)

A colleague and I are restoring a BE-2c replica to flying condition and some of the notes in this have already proved very useful indeed. If anyone else has information which could help us, we'd love to hear from you.........

post-8088-1127399682.jpg

post-8088-1127399724.jpg

post-8088-1127399750.jpg

post-8088-1127400000.jpg

LowNslow

This is fascinating - thanks for sharing them. What aircraft does the Cockpit drawing relate to - the Avro?

Wasn't your project featured in Aeroplane Monthly a few months back? Unfortunately I can't find it now; must have been an issue I looked at in WHSmiths but didn't buy!

Adrian

LowNslow

This is fascinating - thanks for sharing them. What aircraft does the Cockpit drawing relate to - the Avro?

Wasn't your project featured in Aeroplane Monthly a few months back? Unfortunately I can't find it now; must have been an issue I looked at in WHSmiths but didn't buy!

Adrian

The notebook picture is of a BE-2 cockpit. There are references to rigging and fuselage trueing the BE that I suspect would otherwise been lost in the mists of time and we' have had to figure them out ourselves!

There are also Sopwith, Nieuport, Curtiss and Short references. If anyone needs anything specific let me know and I'll post them.

Yes, the 'arrival' of the BE-2 replica grabbed a few headlines when it got back to Sywell, as it wa originally built and flown there by Matt's father in 1969 (see pics).

We're keeping our heads down now, until we have something to show for our efforts. As always at this stage, the airframe gets progessively smaller and the shelves fill up with bits. Hopefully we'll start putting them back together shortly!

post-8088-1127466737.jpg

post-8088-1127466863.jpg

Amazing how many people seem to lurk on the Flypast Forum as well...

Keep us all posted when the shelves start to empty again!

Adrian