Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Veterans Brit/German/French return to the Somme

Guest Keith Pearson

Guest Keith Pearson

Interestingly I have just been told that a BBC British historian is taking a British, German and French veteran to the Somme in a unique last visit. It will be filmed by the BBC for the July 2006 programmes, and is to take place soon. Aparently they have found three German veterans alive, one of which was on the Somme from July to September 1916 and the other two Germans were navy and and at Ypres respectively. The British vet lives near to Southampton and has not spoken before publicly ( i.e. nobody has found him ) and French Poilou from Caen was also on the Somme

They are planning to have them shake hands and share a drink to all of the dead, and therefore effectively be the last men standing as such. A nice touch I think.

Thought you may be interested.

Hello,

Perhaps also of interest. I spent a couple of days at Rancourt, between Perrone and Bapaum, a week ago and the hotel I stayed at on the Sunday was holding a lunch for members of 'Souvenir Francais' who were commeemorating the 89th anniversary of the Somme. Rancourt has British, French and German cemeteries. According to the days programme they held a ceremony at each.

Old Tom