Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gurkha's on Gallipoli

Andrew P

While investigating the war service of a local man, Lt George Curlewis of the 16th Battalion AIF, I've found details he gave to a researcher many years ago where he stated that during the August battles on Gallipoli in 1915 the company he commanded of the 16th Battalion AIF was loaned out to a Gurkha regiment and stayed with them for around a week, Aug 7th - 13th.

Curlewis stated that it was the 5th Gurkha's but the 16th Battalion unit history stated that it was the 6th Gurkha's. The only clue I have as to what unit it was is that the commanding officers was a Colonel Firth.

Does anyone know if Colonel Firth commanded the 5th or 6th at this time in August 1915?

Regards

Andrew

Andrew. Can't find a Colonel Firth with the 6th GR (at least, not in their History); the CO was Lt Col The Hon C G Bruce, MVO. The only Firth I've managed to find as a Gurkha CO was with the 2/8th GR, but I'm not even sure they were at Gallipoli! I've had a quick look theourhg the Australian OH, but no light there, I'm afraid, either (though a more detailed look might reveal something) Steven

Thanks for looking Steven & Myrtle. Perhaps the references to Colonel Firth being of the 5th & 6th as stated by Curlewis & the battalion history were both wrong.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

The fol site http://www.thegurkhamuseum.co.uk/

offers info via

Contact Person: The Curator

Email: curator@thegurkhamuseum.co.uk

Tel: 01962 842832 | Fax: 01962 877597

Best of luck

Michael D.R.

Thanks for the link to the Gurkha Museum Michael.

I visited there when I was last in England in 2000 but wasn't aware of their website.

Cheers

Andrew

Dear Andrew,

A few things that could help :

The 4th AIF Brigade (Lt-Col Monash) and the 29th Indian Brigade (Maj-Gen Cox) (in which there were 3 Gurkha battalions) took part in "the left hook" as one force. If I am not mistaking it was the left assaulting force.

The Gurkha Battalions are 5th/ 6th /10th.

I know the 6th had lost their CO Bruce in Helles and the CO in August was Major Cecil Allanson who attacked the saddle / Hill Q. As far as I know there is no mention of 16th AIF troops being with Allanson on the saddle attack. There is mention of a mix of 13th Div units.

I would say (but again I am just suggesting) it might be more logical that they were with the 5th ... Of whom I don't have any info.

or

The 10th was commanded by Lt-Col Sutton ... but maybe he had he died and been replaced by Firth.

Sorry for not being more precise ...

eric

It could be that Firth was temporaryly transfered from 10th battalion to 5th or 6th due to casualtiies.

Checked CWGC to see if any Firths of Gurkha battalion and no joy, so atleast he survived the war!

happy hunting

Arm