Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SEARCHING FOR LANGMAIDS

annette masters

Hi , I came upon this site while muddling through trying to find info. on these people , I am totally lost and any help would be really appreciated. I am looking for ancestors of or info . about Brigadier Thomas John Robert Langmaid born in England in 1887 ,commissioned from Sandhurst in1908 into A.S.C., He accompanied B.E.F to France at the outbreak of WW1. Mentioned in Dispatches and awarded M.C. He had quite the career in the army and was also awarded the C.V.O. for work in connection with influx of troops for coronation of King George V1.He retired in 1944, and lived in Miami Florida at the time of his death in 1965.

Brig. Langmaid also had a twin brother Charles William Langmaid . I understand he joined the Special Volunteers Reserve in 1908 and was commissioned from Sandhurst in 1910 into the A.S.C, was made Temp.Capt in 1914. Invalided out of army in 1918. In 1965 was known to reside in Jamaica . Thanks from the new girl.

Annette

You'd have been better posting this in "Soldiers".

All I could find were a few London Gazette entries at http://london-gazette.co.uk

Thomas John Robert Langmaid

From Captain to Temporary Major - Gazette 29039, 12/01/1915

Charles William Langmaid

Retirement - Gazette 30803, 16/07/1918

Promotion to Captain – Gazette 29874, 19/12/1916

Military Cross award - Gazette 29024, 29/12/1914 (This was also the edition of the Gazette which announced the introduction of the Military Cross)

Hi Annette,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure that one of the Pals can help you here.

Andy

Annette

You'd have been better posting this in "Soldiers".

All I could find were a few London Gazette entries at http://london-gazette.co.uk

Thomas John Robert Langmaid

From Captain to Temporary Major - Gazette 29039, 12/01/1915

Charles William Langmaid

Retirement - Gazette 30803, 16/07/1918

Promotion to Captain – Gazette 29874, 19/12/1916

Military Cross award - Gazette 29024, 29/12/1914 (This was also the edition of the Gazette which announced the introduction of the Military Cross)

Thanks Stephen , that,s great , I don,t know how you did it , as all I could find was 1 mention in Issue 34420--- which I am awaiting a copy of !!! I will be checking on the editions you found and getting copies if possible . Thanks again , I really appreciate it . I actually should have said in my original post I am looking for descendants of the Langmaids , if I find anything out about ancestors that,s a bonus .

Hi Annette,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure that one of the Pals can help you here.

Andy

Hi Andy , thanks for the welcome .It,s a small world, I am in Vancouver Canada , but lived in your neck of the woods before coming here ---- in fact I have a brother who lives in Hockley. As I say -- small world .

Some more extracts:

LG 14-1-1915

THE ARMY SERVICE CORPS.

The promotions of the undermentioned Lieutenants to be Captains are antedated to 30th October, 1914: —

T. J. R. Langmaid.

----

LG 1-12-1914

The undermentioned Lieutenants to be Captains: —

Dated 7th October, 1914.

Thomas J. R. Langmaid.

----

LG 12-1-15 (in addition to Thomas' promotion)

The undermentioned Lieutenants to be temporary Captains : ---

Dated 30th November, 1914.

C. W. R. Langmaid.

----

LG 18-2-1915

Army Service Corps.

Awarded the Military Cross.

Captain T. J. R. Langmaid.

----

LG 19-7-1917

THE ARMY SERVICE CORPS.

Capt. C. W. R. Langmaid, M.C., is placed on the h.p. list on .account of ill health.

20th July 1917.

----

Steve.

P.S. Type Langmaid* into the gazette search engine at www.gazettes-online.co.uk

Thanks Stebie, I,ve just been on the Gazette site today , haven,t been there for a long time , it seems to be updated and easier to navigate . Your help is greatly appreciated . Do you know what the h.p list is ---- half pay ????

Links to the ones I posted last night:

1-12-1914 : Issue 28992

13-1-1915 : Issue 29039

14-1-1915 : Issue 29040

18-2-1915 : Issue 29074

19-7-1917 : Issue 30191

You can save and print these pages as they are in PDF format.

Don't know about the "h.p. list". Half-pay sounds plausible...

Steve.