Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Veterans to visit the Somme

Guest Keith Pearson

Guest Keith Pearson

Interestingly I have just been told that a BBC British historian is taking a British, German and French veteran to the Somme in a unique last visit. It will be filmed by the BBC for the July 2006 programmes, and is to take place soon. Aparently they have found three German veterans alive, one of which was on the Somme from July to September 1916 and the other two Germans were navy and and at Ypres respectively. The British vet lives near to Southampton and has not spoken before publicly ( i.e. nobody has found him ) and French Poilou from Caen was also on the Somme

They are planning to have them shake hands and share a drink to all of the dead, and therefore effectively be the last men standing as such. A nice touch I think.

Thought you may be interested.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Keith. We are certainly close to losing the last living links with the war, so I think this is a fitting tribute to this chapter of history.

Cheers,

Mat

Guest Keith Pearson
Interestingly I have just been told that a BBC British historian is taking a British, German and French veteran to the Somme in a unique last visit. It will be filmed by the BBC for the July 2006 programmes, and is to take place soon. Aparently they have found three German veterans alive, one of which was on the Somme from July to September 1916 and the other two Germans were navy and and at Ypres respectively. The British vet lives near to Southampton and has not spoken before publicly ( i.e. nobody has found him ) and French Poilou from Caen was also on the Somme

They are planning to have them shake hands and share a drink to all of the dead, and therefore effectively be the last men standing as such. A nice touch I think.

Thought you may be interested.

You're right Matt, I know that they are keeping it under wraps a bit due to prevent a coach full of pic hunters and autograph bods following them!

Nevertheless I have been invited to attend and will speak for us all when I send them our warmest regards. I may find it tough going, I am in my 80's myself!

Keith,

I think it's a wonderful idea and will be looking forward to seeing the end result.

If you want any company on the trip, I think there will be a very long queue for the job. So may I be the first to say: Me, Me, Me, Oooh! please, ME!

Hope you have a wonderful and very memorable trip,

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON

Guest Keith Pearson
Take MILLIONS of photos! 

Marina

I shall take many photographs Marina, hopefully I can post them here if I can learn to use this wretched thing.

I note with interest you Housman. I had the great pleasure, unknown to me at the time, to meet Housman in 1934 when he presented a school literary prize at my old halls. I was only a young chap, but he was a rather withdrawn chap I remember.

...In my own shire if I were sad, homely comforters I had.....

wonderful stuff.

Warm regards

Keith Pearson

Cambridge

Thanks for flagging that up Keith; how strange for those of us who have known veterans to see these three men sitting there as the sole survivors of the Somme generation...

Guest Simon Bull

Hope they do it very soon. I am most certainly not wishing any ill upon the venture or the individuals involved, but such is the life expectancy of men of the age of these gents that they have absolutley no time to waste!

Really looking forward to seeing the film.

Guest Keith Pearson
Hope they do it very soon.  I am most certainly not wishing any ill upon the venture or the individuals involved, but such is the life expectancy of men of the age of these gents that they have absolutley no time to waste!

Really looking forward to seeing the film.

Greetings Simon,

I too am holding my breath about the project.

I feel very honoured to be asked along. I think that they feel sorry for me in my advancing years!

I have to be a bit careful about photo's etc, but I will make sure that I let folks know when it will appear on television.

All the best

Keith Pearson

Cambridge