Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leigh Roose MM

Chris_Baker

Posted on behalf of Gil Jones

Lance-Corporal Leigh Richmond Roose MM, PS/10898, 9th Royal Fusiliers

Academic, "friend" of Marie Lloyd, pupil of H G Wells, the legendary goalkeeper of the Edwardian era, whose principal clubs were Stoke, Everton, Sunderland and Hudersfield as well as twenty-four appearances for Wales between 1900 and 1912.

Leigh Roose is commemorated on the Theipval Memorial on the Somme having gone missing in the costly attack on Bayonet Trench by the 9th Royal Fusiliers in October 1916, just a few short weeks after he gained the MM in Ration Trench, Pozieres. His brave action is described in H C O'Neil's, The History of the Royal Fusiliers in the Great War, but sadly the true identity of the great man has been lost by a slip of a pen and is recorded as Leigh Rouse, as it is in the medal rolls and at Theipval.

Regimental histories cannot be rewritten but at the very least we can correct the Commonwealth War Graves Register who continually, come back asking for more evidence of his identity. Any bit of information (military) regarding this man would be appreciated so that his name can be properly commemorated.

Gil Jones gilin@tiscali.co.uk

Can't help with military side, although Dr LR Roose was one of the great Edwardian amateur goalkeepers. His favourite saying was:

"Before going to war, say a prayer, before going to sea, say two prayers, before marrying say three prayers, before deciding to become a goalkeeper say four prayers. He is an Aunt Sally"

Terry Reeves

Chris

I take it that you have seen the mention of Leigh Roose on Hellfire Corner in article about Celtic Football Club and The Great War.

Regards

Myrtle

There is an outline on Leigh Roose's career with mention of his having fought in Great War on:

www.lyndafis.dircon.co.uk

This is to do with Aberystwyth Football Club in which Leigh Roose had played when studying at the university.

Regards

Myrtle

Dear All,

My name is Spencer Vignes, and I'm a freelance sports writer currently in the process of researching a book on Leigh Roose - it goes without saying that I've read the last few messages with interest!

Anyone out there with any information about Leigh (his life/playing career/war service), I'd love to hear from you. My contact numbers are 01924 890215 or 07956 951144. Loads of info already gathered, and have set myself a deadline of March 2003 before starting work on the first draft.

]

I look forward to hearing from you,

Best wishes

Spencer Vignes