Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another Abreviation G.T.C.

Terry Carter

I was reading a memoir yesterday concerning a guy who after being wounded and after recovery and a week's sick leave was then put in a G.T.C. at the Regimental Depot.

I know what the answer is..... Would any Baker Pal like to guess what it means?

Gopher to Captain?

General Travelling Crate?

Ghastly Training Camp?

Gasmask Testing Company?

Gnashing (of) Teeth Club?

Goat Trimming Club?

Grubby Tunnelling Company?

Memo to self. Stop wasting time thinking of stupid answers to perfectly sensible questions.....

I think I had better tell you. Ian was nearly correct though Andrew and Chris's were quite good.

It stands for Gradual Training Company. Soldiers who had recovered from leg wounds would be taken on daily route marches at a very slow pace and slowly build themselves up.

It fact the book I got it from was called "Our Harry's War" (isbn 0-9542193-0-9) Edited by Henry Morgan.

A Brummie born and bred. He joined the Royal Warwickshire Special Reserve prior to the war and was drafted to the 1st Battalion when war started. Part of Xmas Truce. After recovering from his first wound (sent to same CCS as Bruce Bairnsfather and in next bed) he was drafted to the 11th Royal Warwicks for the Somme and after his second wound he was drafted to the 2/6th Royal Warwicks. He was wounded a third time but stayed in hospital in France.

A very good book, worth reading

What was very interesting. He had five brothers also serving. When on sick leave after his second wound, in November, 1916, the rest of his brothers had leave at the same time and for a couple of days they all overlapped and their father took the opportunity to have a family photograph taken.

Terry