Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ran out of time,help me please

bradley

:unsure: greetings pals,woz down at kew recently but never had much time once id got there(had a meeting with someone that night)...owing to traffic and me not knowing how long th archives process takes(first time there).........it was my grandads 90th ann of setting foot in france,3/9/15 and i left there an unfinished job...i recieved his mic online,and when i got there went to look for his service papers....unfortunately they were not on microfilm....i was disappointed to say the least and mindful of the time ,i headed off in a tizz.....i see that pals can help each other out and me being rather impatient,was wondering if a pal could check out the medal rolls for me and gather any info on him as i cant get down there for a few months.many thanks .....here is the info on the mic

john aitchison dvr asc t3/023552

rif brig 260803 e surrey reg 50820 victory E/1/103 B20 3962

british ditto

14-15 star E/1/4c/2 29

N.B is t3 possibly ,3rd army transport ??

Hi Bradley,

I will be at Kew tomorrow and have a full day , but if time allows I will pull his rolls for you as the Rifle Brigade number intigues me as this is a Territorial number and a little high for the Rifle Brigade, 200000 upwards, highest seen is 212850.

T3 in the ASC is Horse Transport.

Andy

Bradley,

Managed to pull your grandfathers medal rolls.

1914 - 15 Star roll is WO329/2715 showing he did indeed land in France on the 3/9/15 and was transferred to Class Z reserve on 9/3/19.

His British War Medal/Victory Medal Roll is WO329/1208 and shows he was in the 22nd Division H.Q. Coy. R.A.S.C. and that his Rifle Brigade number was indeed in the number range that I have for Territorials in the R.B.'s, number 200803 and he was in the 13th Battalion Rifle Brigade.

When he was transferred to Class Z he was in the East Surrey Regiment as number 50820.

Andy

brilliant andy...thanks very much...it seems now if iam to progress then i look up the battalion and division history for these times yes??? once again.....thanks a lot.... ;)

Bradley,

You are welcome, if you pm me your address I will pop the rolls in the post for you.

Andy

y.great ,will do.im piecing it together at the mo via the mother ship....im wondering what on earth was th class z reserve of the east surreys....cant find any mention of this section...do you have any ideas??? cheers brad

Brad,

If you go to the search engine and type in Class Z reserve you will find a description.

Andy