Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book listing all WW1 Nurses ?

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

Does anyone know anything about a book that has been recently published regarding the Roll of service of all WW1 Nurses ? A friend thinks see saw a copy of such a book for sale on Speedbid within the last month, but I have been unable to find it.

Regards,

Stewart

If anyone knows of such a book, or an alternative source of info, I am trying to track a nurse listed as killed in the war. Her name is G Mosely (Mosley?) little unsure of spelling. I can find no reference to this person in the CWGC database. I assume it's a woman - were there male nurses at the time?

Hello,

Does anyone know anything about a book that has been recently published regarding the Roll of service of all WW1 Nurses ?

Stewart

Do you mean nurses who died in the war, or ALL nurses who served in some way? If you mean the latter, it would have to be a very large book, as a rough figure for the number of women who nursed soldiers [british/Commonwealth] in some capacity is 130,000 :o. I'm not aware of a new book, but I'm often behind the times.

Theo

There is a file at the National Archives for a nurse of the Territorial Force Nursing Service named Gladys Moseley [WO399/13454] but I guess there could easily be more than one person with that name.

Sue

Theo

I'm happy to look at the file next time I'm there, but let me have some background on her [well, hopefully 'her'], so that I know if it's the right person. Perhaps some idea of place of birth or residence?

Sue

If anyone knows of such a book, or an alternative source of info, I am trying to track a nurse listed as killed in the war. Her name is G Mosely (Mosley?) little unsure of spelling. I can find no reference to this person in the CWGC database. I assume it's a woman - were there male nurses at the time?

Theo, I have a pretty thorough listing of WW1 serving female casualties which includes all nurses other than civilian ones. There is no G. Mosely or anything that sounds like it. If you care to give as much information as you have I am happy to make a deeper trawl as there is the possibility that she married and can be found under a different name.

Stewart

Do you mean nurses who died in the war, or ALL nurses who served in some way?  If you mean the latter, it would have to be a very large book, as a rough figure for the number of women who nursed soldiers [british/Commonwealth] in some capacity is 130,000 

Sue

Here are some of them. Apologies for the quality but the original print is not good.

Roy

post-336-1127836100.jpg

Roy

Would it be possible for me to have a scan of that page please? Going over it with a magnifying glass is bad for an old woman B)

Regards

Sue

Sue,

No problem, I owe you for a few replies anyway.

PM me your e-mail addy and I'll let you have the scan. What format would you want it in?

Roy

The only info I have is the name and that fact that she is listed as 'nurse' on a memorial. This is in a place called Pontyclun, near Cardiff.

Any info will be great

Many thanks

Theo

Sue,

Scan on it's way.

Roy

There are a couple more at the bottom of this piccy.

Sue, I'll e-mail you as before.

Jim S. (or anyone else), 2 of these were KIA - if you want a full-size copy PM me your e-mail.

Roy

post-336-1127923971.jpg

Roy, I have sent an email (with my email address on it) requesting a copy. Ella Trout I don't think was a casualty. Nellie Spindle is so well known I shan't add anything here. Daisy Coles was from Peebles her father being the Chief Surveyor to the Board of Agriculture for Scotland. She was educated at Canaan Park College, Edinburgh and trained as a nurse at Leith Infirmary. She was killed in an air-raid. Her brother, Capt. Lionel Coles, Royal Scots, was killed on the first day of the Somme.

A number of these pages appeared in The War Illustrated and, while a couple of those shown on this page were casualties, most of them were not. Ella Trout, for instance was awarded the Medal of the Order of the British Empire and another photo of her appeared about a month later.

Norman +

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Guest Yvonne McEwen

The name of the book you are looking or is 'It's a Long way to Tipperary - British and Irish Nurses in the Great War' published June 2006 by Cualann Press. The book covers professional and volunteer nurses, their work, health and deaths as a result of their war service. At the end of the book there is a complete Roll of Honour for all British and Dominion nurses killed or died in the Great War. The Roll is continually being revised by the researcher and author of the book.

Yvonne McEwen

The Roll is continually being revised by the researcher and author of the book.

Yvonne McEwen

And you should know :rolleyes:

Myrtle